Theoretical angular momentum problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the law of conservation of angular momentum in two scenarios - a cat falling and a person crawling on a rotating merry-go-round. It is questioned how a cat can land on its feet without violating the law, and whether it is easier to crawl radially outward or inward on the merry-go-round. The equations related to conservation of angular momentum are mentioned, and the conversation ends with a request for hints on solving the problems.
nns91

Homework Statement

1. Folk wisdom says that a cat always lands on its feet. If a cat starts falling with its feet up, how can it land on its feet without violating the law of conservation of angular momentum ?

2. Is it easier to crawl radially outward or radially inward on a rotating merry-go-round ? Why ?

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum:

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think by spinning around its center of mass but I am not sure. What do you guys think ?

2. I guess this one has to deal with conservation of angular momentum but I don't know how to start it. Any hint ??

Physics news on Phys.org
nns91 said:

Homework Statement

1. Folk wisdom says that a cat always lands on its feet. If a cat starts falling with its feet up, how can it land on its feet without violating the law of conservation of angular momentum ?

2. Is it easier to crawl radially outward or radially inward on a rotating merry-go-round ? Why ?

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum:

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think by spinning around its center of mass but I am not sure. What do you guys think ?

2. I guess this one has to deal with conservation of angular momentum but I don't know how to start it. Any hint ??

1. To spin would be to change the angular momentum, so how can the cat reorient itself so that [tex]\Delta L=0[/tex]?

2. Consider that you know angular momentum must be conserved in all cases, but energy need not be. What happens to the total energy when someone moves radially closer or farther away?

2. Kinetic energy will increase when the radius is shorter. So it means it is easier to crawl outside ??

nns91 said:
2. Kinetic energy will increase when the radius is shorter. So it means it is easier to crawl outside ??

Right-o, you have to do work to decrease your radius, and work is done on you to increase your radius. How about the first one? Any thoughts?

I cannot think of anything yet. Any hint ?

Related to Theoretical angular momentum problems

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important in theoretical physics?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. In theoretical physics, it is important because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in a closed system. This allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects in rotational motion.

2. How is angular momentum calculated in theoretical problems?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. In theoretical problems, these values can be determined using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.

3. What are some common real-world applications of theoretical angular momentum problems?

One common application is in spacecraft navigation, where understanding and manipulating angular momentum is crucial for controlling the orientation and stability of a spacecraft. Other applications include gyroscopes, rotating machinery, and celestial mechanics.

4. How does angular momentum relate to torque and rotational kinetic energy?

Angular momentum is related to torque (the rotational equivalent of force) through the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. It is also related to rotational kinetic energy through the equation K = ½Iω², where K is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. What are some common challenges in solving theoretical angular momentum problems?

Some common challenges include accurately determining the moment of inertia for complex objects, dealing with non-uniform rotational motion, and understanding the effects of external forces such as friction. It is also important to correctly apply the conservation of angular momentum principle in these problems.