The World’s Largest Vacuum Chamber Settles an Old Question

In summary, the Space Power Facility in Ohio removes air to simulate in-space conditions, and they used this opportunity to test a theory about a bowling ball and a feather.
Physics Footnotes
Gold Member
Recently I came across an excellent video that brings to life an age-old physics teaching theme...

The world’s largest vacuum chamber is NASA’s Space Power Facility in Ohio, pictured below. They remove around 30 tons of air from the chamber in order to test equipment during in-space conditions.

800px-Space_Power_Facility.jpg

But in this video the facility is being borrowed to settle an old question about a bowling ball and a feather. It’s one thing to hear it from a teacher or read about it in a textbook; it’s quite another to see it for yourself.

It's only a few minutes long, so I thoroughly recommend watching and bookmarking it!

Likes 1oldman2
Science news on Phys.org
Great video, but the phrase "to settle an old question" (from the website) irritates me, since it gives an impression that until this video existed, there was no evidence.

Likes whitsona2
The perpetual dumbing down more than just irritates me but; those feathers falling that far & just sitting next to each other like that is a meditative experience.

-Pneumatics

Apollo 15 did this experiment on the moon in 1971:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_15_feather_drop.html

From the link: "...a result predicted by well-established theory, but a result nonetheless reassuring considering both the number of viewers that witnessed the experiment and the fact that the homeward journey was based critically on the validity of the particular theory being tested."

Likes whitsona2
Andy Resnick said:
Great video, but the phrase "to settle an old question" (from the website) irritates me, since it gives an impression that until this video existed, there was no evidence.

I agree, that it's a great video. Science in action!

But Brian Cox was only 3 ½ years old when NASA did this experiment, so I guess he may not have remembered...

TeethWhitener said:
Apollo 15 did this experiment on the moon in 1971:

Doh! You beat me to it.

August 2, 1971​

Likes whitsona2 and berkeman
I shudder if I think of the number viewers who now conclude that in vacuum a bowling ball falls just as slowly as a feather does in air ...

Likes whitsona2, gleem, Physics Footnotes and 1 other person
BvU said:
I shudder if I think of the number viewers who now conclude that in vacuum a bowling ball falls just as slowly as a feather does in air ...
And if the crackpots mix this theory with; "Dude, scientists now say you can have 'negative temperature'. Since bowling balls fall slower in a vacuum, I bet if we created a 'negative vacuum', we could invent anti-gravity. Yo, I'm going to write me a paper."
:biggrin:

Likes BvU
I'm getting cold. Or old, not sure which falls faster. Thread is closed before I get older/colder... :smile:

Likes BvU

Related to The World’s Largest Vacuum Chamber Settles an Old Question

What is the purpose of the world's largest vacuum chamber?

The purpose of the world's largest vacuum chamber is to simulate the conditions of outer space and conduct experiments that require a vacuum environment.

How big is the world's largest vacuum chamber?

The world's largest vacuum chamber is 122 meters long, 61 meters wide, and 18 meters tall, making it the largest in the world by volume.

What is the significance of settling an old question with the world's largest vacuum chamber?

The world's largest vacuum chamber allows scientists to conduct experiments that were not possible before, leading to new discoveries and potentially settling long-standing scientific questions.

What type of experiments can be conducted in the world's largest vacuum chamber?

Experiments that require a vacuum environment, such as testing the effects of space on materials and equipment, studying the behavior of gases and liquids in a vacuum, and simulating the conditions of other planets can be conducted in the world's largest vacuum chamber.

Where is the world's largest vacuum chamber located?

The world's largest vacuum chamber is located at NASA's Space Power Facility in Ohio, USA.