The Work-Energy Theorwm and Kinetic Energy

In summary, the hammer throw is a track-and-field event where a 7.3-kg ball is whirled around in a circle and then released, moving on a curved path. A speed of 29 m/s is given to the hammer in one throw. For comparison, a .22 caliber bullet with a mass of 2.6g exits the barrel of a gun with a speed of 410 m/s. The work done to launch the motion of the hammer is 3.1*10^3 and the bullet is unknown. The formula used to calculate this is W=KE(final)-KE(initial). Both the hammer and bullet start from rest.
pstfleur
1. The hammer throw is a track-and0field event in which a 7.3-kg ball (the hammer), starting from rest, is whirled around in a circle several times and released. It than moves upward on the familiar curvinf path of projectile motion. In one throw, the hammer is given a speed of 29 m/s. For comparison, a .22 caliber bullet has a mass of 2.6g and, starting from rest exits the barrel of a gun with a speed of 410 m/s. Determine the work done to launch the motion of (a) the hammer and (b) the bullet.

2. KE=(1/2)mv^2
W= KE(final)-KE(initial)

3. I think I know my KE final, which would be just plugging in the numbers-
(1/2)*(7.3kg)*(29^2)=KE(final) of the Hammer... But How would I get my KE(initial) since I don't know what the initial velocity of the hammer is as its being whirled around in a circle.
Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both hammer and bullet start from rest.

Doc Al said:
Both hammer and bullet start from rest.
OK WOW, clearly I input some wrong numbers in my calculator..

Thanks for the help Doc..Sorry for wasting ur time

I guess Ill go ahead and answer the rest of the Question...
KE=(1/2)mv^2
W=Ke final- Ke initial

W= (1/2)(7.3kg)(29^2)
=3069.65 or 3.1*10^3 for the Hammer..

You can use the same to Find KE final for the Gun..

Related to The Work-Energy Theorwm and Kinetic Energy

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In simpler terms, it relates the work done by a force on an object to the change in its motion.

2. How is work defined in the context of the Work-Energy Theorem?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. This means that work is only done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move.

3. How is kinetic energy related to the Work-Energy Theorem?

Kinetic energy is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy either increases or decreases.

4. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of motion as long as there is a force acting on the object and causing it to move. This includes linear, rotational, and even oscillatory motion.

5. How is the Work-Energy Theorem useful in real-world applications?

The Work-Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics and is used in many real-world applications. It is used to calculate the amount of work done by a force, determine the speed of an object, and predict the motion of objects in various scenarios. It is also used in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and sports science.