The Wave Equation IS the electron

In summary: I can't even finish that sentence, it's just so silly. The fact that two completely different mathematical objects can be used to describe the same physical object, and that we can come up with yet more mathematical structures to describe the same thing, shows that the mathematical structures are just tools, not the objects themselves.But I think we're wandering off into a different topic now. :smile:Zz.In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that "the Wave Equation is the electron" and its implications. The Wave Equation is a mathematical abstraction used to describe the dynamics of particles, while the electron is a physical particle with its own unique properties. The conversation also touches on how internal structure can affect the dynamics and properties of particles
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"The Wave Equation IS the electron"

Hello everyone,
I've heard it said that well, "the Wave Equation IS the electron". Can anyone explain this to me? I know what the Wave Equation is (even solved a few of them) and have a degree in Chemistry but I probably would not be able to follow advanced QM dialog.

Thanks,
Salty

Physics news on Phys.org
You needn't know too much to tell that
1.The wave equation is an equation,a mathematical object,if u want to,an abstraction.It exists only on paper,in a computer,or in your mind.

2.The electron is a pointlike particle which experinces wave character as well.It has PHYSICAL RELEVANCE,it's not a mathematical abstraction.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You needn't know too much to tell that
1.The wave equation is an equation,a mathematical object,if u want to,an abstraction.It exists only on paper,in a computer,or in your mind.

2.The electron is a pointlike particle which experinces wave character as well.It has PHYSICAL RELEVANCE,it's not a mathematical abstraction.

Daniel.

Well, this was my rational for the statement:

The wave equation describes the dynamics of the electron. Would QM say that the wave equation "totally describes" the electron? I think so, and tell me if not. But if it does, then the wave equation describes a "dynamics" which exhibits itself in the substrate of "electron". I suggest that the essential property of the electron IS that dynamics independently of what the electron is made up of. My analogy: anything that acts like an electron (exhibiting the same behavior), IS an electron. The dynamics is all that matters and that dynamics is described by the wave equation. Ergo: the wave equation is the electron.

Salty

saltydog said:

The wave equation describes the dynamics of the electron.

Let's be specific:the time evolution of the quantum state of a SYSTEM is described by the wave equation.The time evolution of the quantum state of an ELECTRON is described by the wave equation FOR THE ELECTRON.

saltydog said:
Would QM say that the wave equation "totally describes" the electron?

The state vector describes the quantum state of the electron.

saltydog said:
But if it does, then the wave equation describes a "dynamics" which exhibits itself in the substrate of "electron".

I wouldn't make that assertion.

saltydog said:
I suggest that the essential property of the electron IS that dynamics independently of what the electron is made up of.

I would contradict you by telling you that an internal structure would affect the dynamics... :wink:

saltydog said:
My analogy: anything that acts like an electron (exhibiting the same behavior), IS an electron.

Yes.

saltydog said:
The dynamics is all that matters and that dynamics is described by the wave equation.

Yes.

saltydog said:
Ergo: the wave equation is the electron.

Salty

Nope.The wave equation for the electron is an equation,a mathematical abstraction.The electron is a particle...

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel, I don't remember where I read the statement and will try to track it down for further discussion. My summary was my own effort to explain it. I like your suggestion of how an internal structure might "affect" that idea.

Salty

saltydog said:

The wave equation describes the dynamics of the electron. Would QM say that the wave equation "totally describes" the electron? I think so, and tell me if not. But if it does, then the wave equation describes a "dynamics" which exhibits itself in the substrate of "electron". I suggest that the essential property of the electron IS that dynamics independently of what the electron is made up of. My analogy: anything that acts like an electron (exhibiting the same behavior), IS an electron. The dynamics is all that matters and that dynamics is described by the wave equation. Ergo: the wave equation is the electron.

Salty

That doesn't make any sense. Next door to my office is a facility called the Intense Pulsed Neutron Source. Physicists describe beams of neutrons using a "wave equation". There are no electrons here!

The same can be said about the proton-antiproton beams in the tevatron at Fermilab.

In each of these, the wave equation can fully describe those two systems. Simply by these examples, I've already proven why what you heard is wrong.

Zz.

For a second i really thought you were really assuming that the experimentalists would accelerate wave equations up to speeds close to "c" and then crash them and observe the fraction lines,the derivatives,the operators and the bra/kets coming out of the crashes by using sophisticated detectors... :-p :wink: :-p

Daniel.

ZapperZ said:
That doesn't make any sense. Next door to my office is a facility called the Intense Pulsed Neutron Source. Physicists describe beams of neutrons using a "wave equation". There are no electrons here!

Zz.

That's pretty convincing . . .

Thanks,
Salty :blushing:

dextercioby said:
I would contradict you by telling you that an internal structure would affect the dynamics... :wink:
What do you mean by "internal structure"? Can you give an example? Is internal structure something physics cannot model, even in principle?

I didn't say it cannot model.It can model compound particles,but not in an elementary way.
Think of the proton as it was conceived b4 the '60's.Fundamental massive,spin 1/2,electrically charged particle.In principle,its dynamics & properties could be accounted for by the Dirac equation.Was i was simply saying was that,once the proton was discovered to have an internal structure,the Dirac equation and hence the initial dynamics could not account for the physics behind the proton.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I didn't say it cannot model.
I didn't say you did; I was asking. :smile:

Heh. This thread reminds me of the epic battles I used to have with Alexander, except he'd say that the wavefunction is the electron.

Another argument against this in addition to the ones that have already been presented is that it leaves no room for advances in our knowledge. You say that the wavefunction is the electron? But what about quantum field theory? Now is the electron the quantized field? But a wavefunction and a quantized field are not the same thing, so how can the electron be both?

The obvious answer is that neither the wavefunction nor the quantized field are identical to the electron. They are precise, quantitative conceptual tools that we used to describe electrons. And protons, and neutrons, and pions, Oh My!

Related to The Wave Equation IS the electron

1. What is the Wave Equation and how does it relate to electrons?

The Wave Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It is also used to explain the behavior of electrons, which have both wave-like and particle-like properties. According to the wave equation, the electron can be described as a probability wave, which determines the likelihood of finding the electron at a certain location.

2. How was the Wave Equation developed to describe electrons?

The Wave Equation was first proposed by the physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926. He combined the principles of quantum mechanics and classical wave theory to create an equation that could describe the behavior of electrons. This equation has been continuously refined and is now an essential part of modern physics.

3. What evidence supports the idea that the Wave Equation is the electron?

One key piece of evidence is the double-slit experiment, which showed that electrons behave like waves when passing through a barrier with two small openings. This behavior is accurately predicted by the Wave Equation. Additionally, the Wave Equation has been successfully used to explain other phenomena related to electrons, such as the photoelectric effect and atomic orbitals.

4. How does the Wave Equation explain the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with certainty. The Wave Equation explains this by showing that the position and momentum of an electron are linked through its wave function. The more precisely we know the position of the electron, the less certain we are about its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Is the Wave Equation the only model for understanding electrons?

No, the Wave Equation is just one of several models used to understand the behavior of electrons. Other models, such as the particle model and the Bohr model, have also been proposed and are used in different contexts. However, the Wave Equation is the most comprehensive and accurate model for describing the behavior of electrons in most situations.