Bohmian Mechanics: A Promising Alternative to Orthodox Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter eljose79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanic
In summary, the conversation discusses Bohmian mechanics and its lack of acceptance in the physics community. The main objection to it is that it violates relativity and does not make any observable predictions different from traditional quantum mechanics. However, some believe that its deterministic nature and potential for generalization make it worth considering. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the need for a relativistic formulation of Bohmian mechanics and suggests that it should be taught in universities.
eljose79
Bohm mechanic...is that true?..

i have been interested about bohmian mechanics.. i do not know why is not taught at university or why is taken appart in benefit of the ortodox (and non deterministic quantum mechanic)..in fact i think that there is no a physical argument that says this theory is bad or that can not be admitted (in fact are not the results the same as the normal theory?)..i would like something to explain me why this theory is not accpeted. thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
What are postulates of it, what are fundamental differences with the ortodox one?

The main objection to it is that it violates relativity. The "pilot wave" communicates with the particle FTL. Most physicists think that relativity is about as well established and experimentally supported as a theory can be, and don't see any reason they should adopt a theory which, by construction, makes no observable predictions that quantum mechanics doen't make, and has that flaw in it.

Then why to keep it if no facts?

But..

Yes Bohmian theory it is agains relativity..because the formulation known is for a not relativistic particle..we still need a relativistic formulation for the pilot wave.

If the result of bohmian..are the same why accept it?..in fact because it gives a completely deterministic view of quantum..and could be more easy to generalize to get a quantum gravity.

The only objection to it would be that provided completely different results from the ortodox quantum mecanics..meanwhile we should take it into account..i i think it should be taught at university.

What is Bohm mechanics?

Bohm mechanics, also known as the de Broglie–Bohm theory, is a theory in quantum mechanics that provides an alternate interpretation of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It was developed by physicist David Bohm in the 1950s as a way to explain the strange phenomena observed in quantum mechanics.

How does Bohm mechanics differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

In traditional quantum mechanics, particles are described as existing in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In Bohm mechanics, particles have definite positions and trajectories, similar to classical mechanics. However, the behavior of these particles is still probabilistic, as described by the Schrödinger equation.

Is Bohm mechanics a valid scientific theory?

While Bohm mechanics is a valid theory and has been extensively studied and debated, it is not the dominant interpretation of quantum mechanics. The Copenhagen interpretation, which describes particles as existing in a state of superposition, is still widely accepted by the scientific community. However, Bohm mechanics continues to be studied and has been used to make predictions that align with experimental results.

What are the implications of Bohm mechanics?

One of the main implications of Bohm mechanics is that it supports the idea of a non-local universe, meaning that particles can influence each other instantaneously regardless of distance. This challenges the principle of locality, which states that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Additionally, Bohm mechanics suggests that reality exists independently of observation, which goes against the idea of observation shaping reality in traditional quantum mechanics.

What are the criticisms of Bohm mechanics?

One of the main criticisms of Bohm mechanics is that it introduces additional variables and complexity to explain phenomena that can be adequately described by traditional quantum mechanics. Additionally, some argue that the non-locality and determinism of Bohm mechanics are not supported by experimental evidence. However, these criticisms continue to be debated and studied in the scientific community.