The vertical reaction of an arch

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with understanding the equation and output of the function SigMA, which represents the moment about support A of an arch structure. The conversation includes a discussion of the equations and unknown variables involved in calculating the moment, as well as a reminder to post similar questions in the appropriate forum.
member 634857
I'm hoping I can find a place to ask these types of questions as a student or layperson. Please no rude flames or responses. I am asking for help because the material is currently a bit out of reach for me. Can I get some help to understand. Thank you.

From Analysis of Arches by Trupti Sonavane there are figures attached. A point load is said to be established for example in this case it may be said 10Kn for an arch of 12 ft in diameter. There is a defined equation SigMA = BY * 2 * x1 - P(x1+x2) to determine a moment about support A of the arch as defined in the detail. As BY is the vertical reaction and P is defined to be 10Kn is the vertical reaction also 10Kn and if not how is BY to be determined? In addition I understand that there is an output of the function called SigMA (moment about A) however it is unclear to me what that number really actually means physically to the structure for instance is SigMA a vertical moment and if the moment (SigMA) is exceeded what does that mean for the structure?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 558
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Eric, :welcome:
Eric Sepich said:
Please no rude flames or responses.
No reason to expect those, and even then: we have good mentors who weed them out effectively!

Starting with the first equation on the second picture: that indeed describes the torque (or moment) in the z-direction around point A. In the first picture the symbol is ##A_{z0}##, slightly confusing. If that torque would be positive, the structure would start rotating counterclockwise, and we don't want that. negative - clockwise - don't want that either. So it has to be zero. In other words we have an equation: $$B_{y0} \times 2R \cos\alpha - P \times R\left (\cos\alpha +\cos\theta\right ) = 0$$where ##B_{y0}## is the only unknown. It is easily solved with $$B_{y0} = P\ {\cos\alpha +\cos\theta \over 2\cos\alpha}$$ (I resent the use of the secans in the picture -- needlessly complicating.

You can rudimentarily check the result by looking at extremes: if ##\theta = \alpha## you expect all the load to press on B, and if ##\theta = \pi - \alpha## it all comes down to A.Then:
The arch also does not accelerate downwards or upwards, but stays at rest. According to Newton ##F = ma## that means the net sum of forces has to be zero. So the story in the second picture continues with a force balance $$A_{y0} + B_{y0} - P = 0 $$ By now, ##B_{y0}## is known so ##A_{y0}##is the only unknown in this equation. Can you understand the result $$A_{y0} = {1\over 2} P\,\left (1 - \cos\theta/\cos\alpha\right ) \ \ ?$$

upload_2017-11-1_23-30-57.png
Oh, and: I understand this isn't homework. Nevertheless PF wants such explanations of textbook examples posted in the homework forum -- rightly so.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-1_23-30-57.png
    upload_2017-11-1_23-30-57.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Likes member 634857

Related to The vertical reaction of an arch

1. What is the vertical reaction of an arch?

The vertical reaction of an arch is the force that the arch exerts on its supports in the vertical direction.

2. How is the vertical reaction of an arch calculated?

The vertical reaction of an arch can be calculated using the equations of static equilibrium, where the sum of all vertical forces acting on the arch must equal zero.

3. What factors influence the vertical reaction of an arch?

The vertical reaction of an arch is influenced by the weight and geometry of the arch, as well as the load placed on the arch and the properties of the supporting structure.

4. How does the vertical reaction of an arch affect the stability of the structure?

The vertical reaction of an arch is essential in keeping the structure stable and preventing it from collapsing under its own weight or external loads. It helps distribute the weight of the structure and any applied loads to the supports.

5. Can the vertical reaction of an arch change over time?

Yes, the vertical reaction of an arch can change over time due to factors such as settling of the supporting structure, changes in load, or deterioration of the arch itself. Regular maintenance and monitoring are necessary to ensure the stability of the structure.