The Uncertainty Principle and Quantized Time

In summary, the more accurately you determine a particle's position, the less you know about its momentum, and vice versa. Momentum is defined as mass times velocity and velocity is defined as change in position over time. The increase in mass that occurs to a particle when its velocity increases is also definite and non-probabalistic. Time is quantized- that is, it has a smallest possible unit of duration. Space is also quantized, being time in different clothes. The smallest possible unit of length is the Planck length.
Toptomcat
GIVEN:
1. The more accurately you determine a particle's position, the less you know about its momentum, and vice versa. (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle)
2. Momentum is defined as mass times velocity.
3. Velocity is defined as change in position over time.
4. The rest mass of a particle is definite and non-probabalistic.
5. The increase in mass that occurs to a particle when its velocity increases is also definite and non-probabalistic.
6. Time is quantized- that is, it has a smallest possible unit of duration.
7. Space is also quantized, being time in different clothes. It has a smallest possible unit of length- possibly the Planck length.

Now, suppose you are measuring a the position of a particle of known rest mass as precisely as possible, as often as possible- that is, you are getting it to the nearest space quanta, once per time quanta.

You now have a list of positions, with precise times of occurence for each. You can derive the velocity of the particle, as precisely as is possible, by seeing how much its position changed between each measurement.

From its velocity you can infer its current mass, because you know its rest mass and can calculate how much it's increased from that from the velocity.

Now that you have its velocity and mass, it's a simple matter to calculate its momentum, being the product of the two.

I now have figures that cannot be more precise, for a particle's simultaneous velocity and position- in violation of the Uncertainty Principle.

Either there's a hole in my logic or one or more of my givens is wrong. The first five aren't really in question. Have I disproved the last two, or am I having delusions of grandeur? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear to me, if I understand your post correctly, that you are overlooking the fact that the act of measuring the position and/or energy alters them.

Yes, but you'll know by how much once you take the next measurement.

Unless the Uncertainty Principle is only meant to apply to the present, not the past...?

Last edited:
Exactly. You can know where it was, but it won't be there any more.

I see. So, just to be clear, you CAN know the exact position and momentum of a particle at a single point in the PAST, but NOT the present?

I believe that's how it works. QM is not my greatest area of knowledge, though, so you'd best gather some other opinions.:biggrin:

Related to The Uncertainty Principle and Quantized Time

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle relate to quantized time?

The Uncertainty Principle implies that there is an inherent limit to how precisely we can measure certain properties of particles, including time. This suggests that time may also be quantized, meaning it is made up of discrete, indivisible units rather than being continuous.

3. Why is the Uncertainty Principle important in understanding the behavior of particles?

The Uncertainty Principle is important because it shows that the behavior of particles cannot be fully predicted or understood. It introduces a level of randomness and unpredictability into the behavior of particles, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

4. Is the Uncertainty Principle a limitation of our measuring tools, or a fundamental aspect of reality?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about the nature of the Uncertainty Principle. Some argue that it is a limitation of our measuring tools and that with more precise instruments, we could potentially overcome it. Others believe that it is a fundamental aspect of reality and that there will always be a limit to how precisely we can measure certain properties of particles.

5. Can the Uncertainty Principle be applied to macroscopic objects?

The Uncertainty Principle is typically only applicable to microscopic particles, as the effects of quantum mechanics are usually only observable at very small scales. However, some scientists have proposed theories that suggest the Uncertainty Principle may also apply to larger objects, such as living organisms. This is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.