The Uncertainity Principle

In summary: So now you have two values for x and one for y and one for z. You can use these to calculate two values for the momentum (one for x and one for y) and one for the position (x again). So you have two values for x and two for momentum. If you know that the x-direction is forward, then you can say that the electron is going forward. You have a distribution of values for the momentum in the x-direction, but they all point forward, so you can say with certainty that the electron is going forward. This is how the uncertainty principle works - it doesn't mean that we can't know anything about the particle, it just means that we can't know everything about
manofphysics
1)Consider a beam of electrons in a CRO striking the phosphor screen.How does the uncertainity principle pan out here?
Technically, we are getting the exact position of the electron due to the point made on the screen.And, we can most certainly calculate the velocity by estimating the time in which the electron went from the cathode to the screen.So, both momentum and position are known.

2)Consider a gas enclosed in a container(high density,so wave functions overlap).What is the reason here for the uncertainity in the gas molecules ?Because , as such we are not interacting, or measuring the position of each molecule explicitly.
We have just left the gas in the container independent of any more interference.

I know my questions may sound elementary to some but I'll be grateful for any clarifications.

Physics news on Phys.org
manofphysics said:
1)Consider a beam of electrons in a CRO striking the phosphor screen.How does the uncertainity principle pan out here?
Technically, we are getting the exact position of the electron due to the point made on the screen.And, we can most certainly calculate the velocity by estimating the time in which the electron went from the cathode to the screen.So, both momentum and position are known.
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle says nothing about a single measurement, it only refers the to distribution of several measurements.
manofphysics said:
2)Consider a gas enclosed in a container(high density,so wave functions overlap).What is the reason here for the uncertainity in the gas molecules ?Because , as such we are not interacting, or measuring the position of each molecule explicitly.
We have just left the gas in the container independent of any more interference.
I'm afraid that I don't understand the question. The uncertainty principle applies to measurements, unless we measure the positions/velocities of the gas molecules we cannot say where they are or how fast they are going.

I think you are aware that the uncertainty principle says that you cannot know P and Q simultaneously. You will instead get a distribution of values. There is nothing to stop you from attempting to measure both values to unlimited precision, but they will not represent the particle simultaneously.

It is sometimes easier to see this point if you consider spin/polarization instead of momentum and position. If you measure spin in x-axis and then measure spin in y-axis, does the particle still have the same spin in the x-axis as previously measured? (All we need to do is perform another check on x-axis spin to accomplish this.) The answer is NO, that value will be totally random (i.e. complete uncertainty). So we knew the values at 2 points in time precisely, but not simultaneously.

If the electron is traveling in the x-direction, then the timing gives you the x-momentum, and the impact on the screen gives you the y-position and the z-position. I don't think there is any uncertainty principle involved in these three measurements, as they commute. It is only momentum and position along the same axis that do not commute.

JustSam said:
If the electron is traveling in the x-direction, then the timing gives you the x-momentum, and the impact on the screen gives you the y-position and the z-position.
The flash would also give you the x-position.

Related to The Uncertainity Principle

What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

Who discovered the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

Why is the Uncertainty Principle important?

The Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a limit on how precisely we can measure certain physical properties of particles. It also challenges our classical understanding of cause and effect, as it states that we cannot know the exact state of a particle at a given time.

How is the Uncertainty Principle applied in real life?

The Uncertainty Principle has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, where it is used to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also plays a role in the development of technologies such as MRI machines.

Is the Uncertainty Principle universally accepted?

While the Uncertainty Principle is a well-established concept in quantum mechanics, there are still debates and ongoing research about its exact interpretation and implications. However, it is widely accepted as a fundamental principle in physics.