The truck, the box and the slide

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that is challenging and has been posted on Yahoo Answers. The first reply received is incorrect and the correct answer is provided by Dr. D. However, it is short and difficult to understand. The problem involves finding the maximum acceleration and stopping distance of a block on a moving truck. The suggestion is to use the given hints and Newton's laws to solve the problem instead of relying on others' answers.
yoyobarn
problem is attached as image...

i asked on yahoo answers, received a reply but is wrong...

it is very challenging (in my opinion)..
I spent over an hour without reaching even a wrong option..

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Show what you've done so far.

Hints: What's the maximum acceleration of the box? Figure out how far the box moves with respect to the ground.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...nkoSvGAazKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20090925002613AAbpiRt

Dr D's answer is correct:

The block will slide once the deceleration of the truck exceeds μg.
Once the block begins to slide, its absolute deceleration is constant at μg.
So the stopping distance of the block is v^2 / (2μg) = 40.77 m.

And the block is allowed to stop within 3 m more than the truck. So the minimum stopping distance of the truck is 37.77 m.

If you use g = 9.81, you get 37.77 m
If g = 10, then you get 37 m.

but his answer is a bit short, and hard to understand...

yoyobarn said:
but his answer is a bit short, and hard to understand...
Rather than hunting for answers, your time might be better spent trying to figure it out on your own. Use the hints I gave and your knowledge of Newton's laws.

Related to The truck, the box and the slide

1. What is "The truck, the box and the slide"?

"The truck, the box and the slide" is a physics problem that involves a truck moving horizontally while a box slides down a ramp attached to the back of the truck. The goal is to determine the maximum angle of the ramp where the box will remain on the truck without sliding off.

2. What are the key factors in solving this problem?

The key factors in solving this problem are the mass and dimensions of the truck and box, the angle of the ramp, and the coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the solution?

The angle of the ramp directly affects the solution as it determines the force of gravity acting on the box and the normal force between the box and the ramp. As the angle increases, so does the force of gravity, which can cause the box to slide off the ramp.

4. What is the role of the coefficient of friction in this problem?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In this problem, it affects the amount of friction between the box and the ramp, which determines whether the box will slide or remain in place on the ramp.

5. Can this problem be solved using simple kinematic equations?

No, this problem requires the use of both kinematic and dynamic equations to accurately model the motion of the truck and box. Kinematic equations only consider motion, while dynamic equations take into account forces acting on the objects.