The triple Dirac delta-function well: getting KAPPA

• Thread starter Lylo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dirac
In summary: The potential V(s) is ## \frac{\hbar^2g}{2ma} (η), ## where η denotes the scaled delta-functions; however, the Schrödinger equation becomes $$ \epsilon\psi = \frac{-\partial^2\psi}{\partial s^2} - g[η]\psi $$ and we note that ## \partial(sa) → \frac{1}{|a|}\partial s .## Of course, g ∈ ℤ and is...well, constant, so this equation is useless.The potential V(s) is ##
Lylo

Homework Statement

I will try to be light on the math as I am just now getting into using LaTex, and I don't want things to get too ugly from me not using it.

Hello there,

I found a thread here on PF concerning a triple delta-function potential well problem, which was a bit informative. However, my quantum professor wants us to solve several problems related to such a potential, introducing the non-dimensionalizing substitution s = x/a to 'scale the variables', resulting in the problem specified by

d2Ψ/ds2 - (ħ2/2ma2) g[∂(s) + ∂(s-1) + ∂(s+1)]Ψ = εΨ ,

where we see our scaled energy in epsilon, and g is a constant integer which describes the delta function's "strength".

I am having some trouble getting to a useful kappa, as I have done for the double potential well. I feel as though I am overlooking something very 'obvious' yet crucial to obtaining the transcendental equation for kappa, so I hope maybe someone else can offer some hints.

Homework Equations

Manifestly there exist four distinct regions of finite potentials; at s=±1 and s=0 we have the delta wells. In a previous assignment we demonstrated that the even solutions can be written as

eks
for s<-1

Beks + Ce-ks
for -1<s<0

Be-ks + Ceks
for 0<s<1

and

e-ks
for 1<s

and that's what I wish to look at here.

We also make use of the continuity equation

## \Delta (\frac{d\psi(s)}{ds})=-g(\psi(s)) ##

and note that our wavefunction must be continuous at the boundaries, and their derivatives are also continuous where their respective wavefunctions are finite (i.e., not at a delta well).

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we expect continuity at s=-1, I will use the first and second wavefunction 'pieces', evaluating them at that point and setting them equal:

## \psi_I(-1) = \psi_I{}_I(-1) ## yields $$ e^k{}^s = Be^k{}^s + Ce^-{}^k{}^s \\ e^-{}^k = Be^-{}^k + Ce^k \rightarrow 1 = B + Ce^2{}^k \rightarrow B = 1 - Ce^2{}^k ;$$
note that we recover this result for s=1, as well. At s=0, we have the unenlightening $$ B+C = B+C .$$
By the by, for good measure we can also write (from our experience with s=-1) $$ C=Be^-{}^2{}^k + e^-{}^2{}^k .$$
We note the discontinuity in ## \psi'(s) ## at, say, s=-1: ## \Delta (\frac{d\psi(1)}{ds})=-g(\psi(1)), ## meaning we need to take derivatives of psi one and psi two, and then subtract the former from the latter: $$ \psi' {}_I{}_I = ke^k{}^s - Ce^2{}^ke^k{}^s(k)-Cke^-{}^k{}^s \\ \psi' {}_I = ke^k{}^s$$ and so we get, after subtracting these two and equating their difference to ## -g\psi(-1) ## $$ -g = -2Cke^2{}^k .$$

It isn't immediately clear to me if this will be useful in getting kappa. I reckon I need to get rid of any B or C dependencies for my final transcendental in kappa, and I have a plethora of what my tyro's eye sees as a "dead-end". Perhaps I have been staring at this stuff for too long. When I did the double delta well problem a year or two ago, I remember some twisty algebra was involved in getting rid of my coefficients in the kappa equation.

Does it look like I am on the right track? Have I missed something, and need a nudge in the right direction? I have always had a bit of trouble playing with groups of equations and trying to construct an equation with only certain components; I am dyslexic so it seems really convoluted to my mind!

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll give this a few re-reads in the hopes that I'll weed out any sneaky typos.

EDIT: I also have tried getting additional equations by exploiting the continuity of the wavefunction's derivatives for finite potentials - i.e., at s=1/2. I am trying to find one of my results doing so, now. If I can find it, I'll add it to the post; if not, I'll do it again when I get time to, provided that it's necessary/useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I was going to edit my first post again, but it seems as though I cannot. I cannot find the edit option again, at least.

While walking around campus the day after I posted this, a few ideas hit me which I will be trying out tonight. I also realized some issues with my post, which I will clear up here:

The Schrödinger equation is incorrect, because of an oversight on my part. The potential V(s) is ## \frac{\hbar^2g}{2ma} (η), ## where η denotes the scaled delta-functions; however, the Schrödinger equation becomes $$ \epsilon\psi = \frac{-\partial^2\psi}{\partial s^2} - g[η]\psi $$ and we note that ## \partial(sa) → \frac{1}{|a|}\partial s .## Of course, g ∈ ℤ and is constant.

Likes BvU
Hello,

I have made some more additions to my list of equations in my efforts for obtaining a transcendental in κ.

Given the wavefunction 'pieces' for the even solutions, we also have: $$ \psi_e = \begin{cases}
κe^{κs} & s < -1\\
κBe^{κs} - κCe^{-κs} & -1 < s < 0\\
-κBe^{-κs} + κCe^{κs} & 0 < s < 1 \\
-κe^{-κs} & 1 <s \\
\end{cases}. $$
Applying the continuity equation about the discontinuity in ## \frac{d\psi}{ds} ## at ## s=0 ## gives:

$$ \begin{cases}
\frac{d\psi}{ds}|_+ =& -κB + κC \\
\frac{d\psi}{ds}|_- =& κB - κC\\

\end{cases} \\ Δ\frac{d\psi}{ds} = (-κB + κC) - (κB - κC) = -2κB + 2κC; \\ \text{or, using } B = 1 - Ce^{2k}: \\ -2κ + 2κCe^{2κ} + 2κC.$$
This implies that $$ -2κ + 2κCe^{2κ} + 2κC = -g(1 - Ce^{2κ} + 2κC), $$
which I obtain as leading to: $$ \frac{2κ}{g} = \frac{1-C(e^{2κ}+1)}{1-C(e^{2κ}-1)}. $$
This is close to an equation involving a ## \tanh 2k ,## but I haven't been able to produce such an equation.

Any tips?

EDIT: I also decided to exploit the continuity of the derivatives of ##\psi## at finite potentials, as well as the symmetry in the wavefunctions about ##s=0:## $$ κBe^{-k/2} - κCe^{k/2} = -(-κBe^{-k/2} + κCe^{κ/2}) → 0 = 0,$$
with an equivalent result for ##\frac{d\psi_I(s<-1)}{ds}## and ##\frac{\psi_{IV}(s>1)}{ds}. ##

Last edited:
Hello,

For those who are interested, I finally pieced together something which seems okay for ##\kappa.## Recall from post # 1 that ## g = 2C\kappa e^{2\kappa}; ## using this fact we can also obtain a value for ##C## upon inspection: ## C=\frac{g}{2\kappa}e^{-2\kappa} ##. I have already proven that $$ \frac{2\kappa}{g} = \frac{1-C(e^{2\kappa}+1)}{1-C(e^{2\kappa}-1)}, $$ so implementing our new expression for ##C## into our equation of ##\frac{2\kappa}{g}## yields $$ 2\kappa [1-\frac{g}{2\kappa}(1+e^{-2\kappa})] = g[1-\frac{g}{2\kappa}(1-e^{-2\kappa})].$$

Now, for ##g=5##, Wolfram returns three roots for this transcendental in ##\kappa##:## \begin{align}
\kappa &≈ -2.42392 \\
\kappa &≈ 2.0756 \\
\kappa &≈2.73481
\end{align}.##

We know that ## \kappa = \frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar};## so for our case in epsilon (## \epsilon=\frac{2mEa^2}{\hbar^2} ##): ## \kappa = \frac{\sqrt{\frac{-2m \hbar^2 \epsilon}{2ma^2}}}{a} \rightarrow \kappa = \frac{\sqrt{- \epsilon}}{a}.##

The only restriction for ##\kappa## is ##\kappa ∈ ℝ.## Our ##\epsilon ## is assumed to be ## < 0.## It is trivial to show that ## - \epsilon = a^2\kappa^2 \rightarrow \epsilon = -a^2\kappa^2.## The negative sign ensures we always recover a negative value for ## \epsilon ## notwithstanding the sign of ## \kappa.## So, it looks like our three ##\kappa##'s are in favor of three bound states at ##g=5.##

Last edited:

Related to The triple Dirac delta-function well: getting KAPPA

1. What is the triple Dirac delta-function well?

The triple Dirac delta-function well is a potential well model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a certain region of space.

2. How does the triple Dirac delta-function well differ from a single or double well?

The triple Dirac delta-function well has three potential wells instead of one or two, allowing for more complex behavior and interactions between particles.

3. What is the significance of the parameter KAPPA in the triple Dirac delta-function well?

KAPPA represents the strength of the potential barriers between the three wells, and can affect the energy levels and behavior of particles within the well.

4. How is the triple Dirac delta-function well used in scientific research?

The triple Dirac delta-function well is used in theoretical physics and quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces, such as in atomic and molecular systems or in solid-state physics.

5. What are some potential applications of the triple Dirac delta-function well model?

The triple Dirac delta-function well can be used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various systems, such as in quantum computing, in the design of new materials, and in the development of new technologies.