Media Life Expectancy - CD-RW, DVD, & More

• Thread starter Nephtys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, The life expectancy of current media such as CD-RW, DVD, etc. is about 50 years, but it can vary. It is tested by exposing the media to increased radiation to determine its durability. To keep something for thousands of years, it would need to be engraved on a metal disk. CD's generally do not last long, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. The outside coating can start to flake off, rendering the disk useless.
Nephtys
::Doesn't know if this should go in hardware or software::

Hi all!

What is the life expectancy of current media (CD-RW, DVD, etc.)?
How was an estimate reached?

Any info on discs with life expectancy of 1,000-100,000 thousand years would be greatly appreciated.

Any links appreciated by defaut.
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Existing media have a life expectancy of up to about 50 years, but it varies. I believe they test it by exposing the media to increased radiation, since its radiation that makes them deteriorate (so if you keep them out of the sun they'll last longer).

As far as keeping something for thousands of years, you'd need it to be engraved on a metal disk. Something like the record that went on Voyager.

Ya, cd's don't last to long. I generally use memorex cdrs, and some of the first cd's I burnt are now starting to wear out. Of course the stay in my car pretty much year round, inside of a black cd holder. So the heat gets pretty intense. The disk itself stays intact pretty well, but the outside coating starts to flake off and its pretty much useless.

1. What is media life expectancy?

Media life expectancy refers to the amount of time that a particular type of media, such as a CD-RW or DVD, is expected to last before it becomes unreadable or unusable.

2. How long does a CD-RW typically last?

A CD-RW typically has a life expectancy of 20-100 years, depending on factors such as storage conditions and frequency of use.

3. What affects the life expectancy of a DVD?

The life expectancy of a DVD can be affected by several factors, such as exposure to heat, sunlight, and scratches or damage to the disc's surface. Quality of the disc and frequency of use can also play a role.

4. Can media life expectancy be extended?

Yes, media life expectancy can be extended by properly storing and handling the media, such as keeping it in a cool, dry place and handling it carefully to avoid scratches and damage.

5. What can I do if my media becomes unreadable before its expected life expectancy?

If your media becomes unreadable before its expected life expectancy, you may be able to recover the data by using specialized software or services. However, there is no guarantee that all data can be recovered, so it is important to regularly back up important information.