The total sum of forces in circular motion in gravitational field

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of centripetal force in a gravitational field, specifically in the context of a Ferris wheel ride. The group discusses the factors involved in calculating the net centripetal force, including the fixed rooms on the wheel and the sum of forces such as normal force and gravitational force. The speaker also asks for clarification on how the chair is attached to the wheel.
J.Asher
Hello,

I am now studying centripetal force.

and the problem is that centripetal force in gravitational field.

Let's talk about Ferris-wheel ride, this ride has some rooms to carry people and fixed to the

edge of the wheel. Since it is rotating periodically, its magnitude of net force has to be

mv^2/r, right?

but this is the sum of forces. now I cannot go further.

I cannot fully understand how the force will be summed up into the net centripetal force.

Is there anyone who can help me by telling me the how the sum of the forces can finally

have the net centripetal force mv^2/r ,

(the forces might be normal force and gravitational force, right?)

waiting your answers.. thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this: how is the chair attached to the Ferris wheel?

Related to The total sum of forces in circular motion in gravitational field

1. What is the total sum of forces in circular motion in a gravitational field?

The total sum of forces in circular motion in a gravitational field is known as centripetal force. It is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path and is directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is the centripetal force calculated?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2 / r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and gravitational force?

Centripetal force and gravitational force are directly related. The centripetal force is caused by the gravitational force between two objects. In circular motion, the centripetal force is equal to the gravitational force between the two objects.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the centripetal force in circular motion?

The mass of an object has a direct impact on the centripetal force in circular motion. A larger mass will require a greater centripetal force to maintain the same circular motion compared to a smaller mass. This is because the centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass of the object.

5. What happens to the centripetal force if the radius of the circular path increases?

As the radius of the circular path increases, the centripetal force decreases. This is because the force required to keep an object moving in a larger circle is less than the force required for a smaller circle. Therefore, the centripetal force is inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.