The torque curve of a indcution motor (laboration task)

In summary, increasing the stator voltage amplitude increases the torque and stator current of the inductive motor, but also leads to higher energy losses and lower efficiency. To recalculate the torque and stator current for the 400V case, the formulas are multiplied by a factor of 1/3, as the ratio of 400/130 is 3. This factor can also be applied to the rotational speed, making the torque and stator current dependent on n.
beyondlight

Homework Statement

I have to measure the entire torque curve and stator-current of a inductive motor from idle running speed to 0 rpm. This will bee done for 130 V instead of 400 V because the energy loses will be too high if it is done with a stator voltage of 400V. Question: How does the inductive motors stator-current and torque vary with the stator-voltages amplitude? Find the formulas to re-calculate the already measured torque and stator-current so it is valid for the 400V case which isn't measured. It has to be valid for all rotational speeds n rpm. So it will be treated as an unknown constant through the deduction. Because for example the current at 130V and a specific rotational speed will be calculated for 400V at same rotational speed. Explain in words why the stator- current and torque vary like this.

[tex]I_{S400V} (n) = I_{S130V} (n) * ...[/tex]
[tex]T_{400V} (n) = T_{130V} (n) * ...[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]T=\frac{P_δ}{ω_s}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I_{s130} = \frac{P_s}{\sqrt{3}Ucos(\phi) }[/tex]

Since the ratio of 400/130 is 3 we can express

[tex]I_{s400}=I_{s130}*\frac{1}{3}[/tex]And for T:

[tex]T_{s130}=\frac{P_δ}{ω_s}[/tex]

Since [tex]P_δ [/tex]depends on the voltage as does [tex] P_s (P_δ=P_s -P_{CuR})[/tex]

then [tex]T_{s400} = T_{s130}* \frac{1}{3}[/tex]Now if this is correct (havent taken the resistance losses into account) how do i make it dependent of n? (n is the rotational speed in rpm)

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason why the torque and stator-current vary with the stator-voltage amplitude is due to the fact that a higher stator voltage produces more mechanical power in the motor. This increase in power is a result of the increased stator current, which produces a stronger magnetic field that interacts with the rotor magnets. This stronger magnetic field increases the torque produced by the motor, allowing it to rotate faster. Additionally, the increase in stator voltage also increases the stator current, which leads to an increase in the stator resistance losses. This increase in stator resistance losses results in an overall decrease in efficiency of the motor.

Related to The torque curve of a indcution motor (laboration task)

What is a torque curve?

A torque curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the torque output of a motor and its rotational speed. It shows how much torque the motor can produce at different speeds.

Why is the torque curve important for an induction motor?

The torque curve is important for an induction motor because it helps determine the motor's performance and efficiency. It shows the maximum torque the motor can produce and at what speed, which is crucial for selecting the right motor for a specific application.

What factors affect the shape of the torque curve?

The shape of the torque curve is affected by various factors such as the motor's design, the number of poles, the voltage and frequency of the power supply, and the load on the motor. The type of rotor, stator, and winding also play a role in determining the shape of the torque curve.

How is the torque curve measured in a laboratory task?

In a laboratory task, the torque curve of an induction motor is measured by using a dynamometer. The motor is connected to the dynamometer, which applies a load to the motor, and the torque and speed are recorded at different load levels. These measurements are then plotted on a graph to create the torque curve.

What information can be obtained from the torque curve of an induction motor?

The torque curve of an induction motor provides important information such as the maximum torque the motor can produce, the speed at which the motor operates most efficiently, and the speed range over which the motor can operate. It also helps in determining the motor's starting torque and its ability to handle different load levels.