MIDI to MP3: Free & Legal Conversions?

• Thread starter Juxt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for converting MIDI files into MP3 format, as well as the legality and sound quality of MIDI files. Suggestions are given for programs that can convert MIDI to WAV and then to MP3 for burning onto a CD. There is also a mention of the limitations of the Roxio CD burning program and a suggestion to try using a different program for burning WAV files to CD.
Juxt
Does anyone know of a program or method to translate MIDI files into MP3 format? There are a number of freeware or shareware MIDI sites that don't mention the legality of downloading a file, so I assume that it is legal. There are some really great MIDI conversions out there but the program I have for burning CDs (Roxio) doesn't support anything like this.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd think just about any midi program can convert midi to wav... does you burning software also support wav?

- Warren

soundforge or of you want the whole package try musicmatch at www.musicmatch.com. It's free

MIDI files generally output low-res tinny sounds. I find them handy for composing music (and also their extraordinary small size). But for casual listening, I tend to just find a recording of the song in MP3 format. Much better in terms of sound quality

If you do want to put MIDIs on a CD, id take chroot's suggestion and convert the MIDI to Wav. I have the Roxio CD burner (Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum Edition), and it won't accept Wav files. Because of that, convert the .wav file into .mp3 format, then burn it on the CD.

What a piece of crap! A CD burning program that won't let you burn WAVs to CD-DA? CD-DA *is* WAV!

Perhaps you should get another CD burning program...

- Warren

1. What is MIDI and MP3?

MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a digital protocol used to communicate musical information between electronic devices such as computers, synthesizers, and digital audio workstations. MP3 is a popular audio file format used for storing and playing digital audio.

2. Is it legal to convert MIDI to MP3 for free?

Yes, it is legal to convert MIDI to MP3 for free as long as the MIDI file and any accompanying audio files are not copyrighted. It is always best to check the source of the MIDI file and make sure it is not protected by copyright laws.

3. How can I convert MIDI to MP3 for free?

There are several online converters and software programs that allow you to convert MIDI to MP3 for free. Some popular options include Audacity, Free MIDI to MP3 Converter, and Online-Convert.com.

4. Are there any limitations to using free MIDI to MP3 converters?

Some free MIDI to MP3 converters may have limitations on the size or length of the MIDI file that can be converted. Additionally, the quality of the converted MP3 file may not be as high as a paid converter. It is important to research and read reviews before choosing a converter.

5. Can I edit the converted MP3 file?

Yes, once the MIDI file is converted to MP3, it can be edited just like any other audio file using software such as Audacity or GarageBand. This allows you to make any necessary adjustments or enhancements to the audio before saving the final MP3 file.