The Sun's Energy: Transmuting Elements to Rare Metals

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining rare elements through transmutation, specifically by using infinite energy and advanced technology to build a fusion reactor or automated station near the Sun. However, it is also mentioned that obtaining these elements through conventional means such as mining and recycling may be more feasible. The conversation also touches on the limitations of stars in producing heavy elements and the potential for a future civilization to create a transmutation machine.
Simfish
Gold Member
Like, maybe transmutate certain elements into rare metals that we have a very limited supply of?

By "all of the Sun's" energy, I mean an amount of energy similar to the amount we could collect from solar panels if we covered the Earth with solar panels (obviously that isn't feasible, but we can dramatically increase our surface area by building panels in space). This could go all the way into a Dyson sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org

If we had infinite energy, wouldn't it be easier to dig them out of the ground?

In most cases, it would be. It's hard to make precise estimates of elemental abundance deep in the crust. But maybe there are more of the rare heavy metals that are deep in there?

If we had infinite energy, we could just go get asteroids to mine!

It really depends on how efficient the proposed technologies are. You would need a highly sophisticated fusion reactor to transmute atoms, I've no idea how such a thing could be built so as to reliably produce X from Y in economical times and amounts. You wouldn't necessarily need to cover the Earth in solar panels though. If your technology is good enough you could build an automated station (a few times bigger than the ISS) with km worth of solar panels and put it in a much closer orbit to the sun so as to harvest more energy. Abundant elements could be shipped to the facility using a flotilla of tugs using VASIMR engines, these tugs could then bring the rare elements back.

So its theoretically possible if;
- You can build a modified fusion reactor capable of transmuting elements on demand in the right amounts
- You can build an automated station and orbit it close to the sun
- You develop propulsion technologies good enough to get a tug there and back in a few years
- You develop cheap rockets/spaceplanes to go to orbit to deliver the raw materials and collect the rare
- And above all you can do all of that cheaper than simply building a bigger mine or more efficient recycling stations

You would need a Supernova to produce the heavy elements that we crave. Even in the Sun, they are not being produced. In addition to energy, you need the right conditions of extreme temperature and pressure.

sophiecentaur said:
You would need a Supernova to produce the heavy elements that we crave. Even in the Sun, they are not being produced. In addition to energy, you need the right conditions of extreme temperature and pressure.

Hmm is that strictly true? any element above iron does not get produced as a product of fusion because it takes more energy than it makes. However our fusion reactor does not need to make energy, we can pump energy in from the solar panels to fuse above iron. This does stretch far into the realms of building a fusion reactor out of unobtainium powered by handwavium and built by magitech

ryan_m_b said:
Hmm is that strictly true? any element above iron does not get produced as a product of fusion because it takes more energy than it makes. However our fusion reactor does not need to make energy, we can pump energy in from the solar panels to fuse above iron. This does stretch far into the realms of building a fusion reactor out of unobtainium powered by handwavium and built by magitech

I thought it was true that only large stars have the conditions to produce the really heavy elements when they go Nova. The small early stars that started life as just H nebulae only contain moderately heavy elements.

sophiecentaur said:
I thought it was true that only large stars have the conditions to produce the really heavy elements when they go Nova. The small early stars that started life as just H nebulae only contain moderately heavy elements.

I'll have to look it up at some point but I'm pretty sure that anything above iron will not be made in a star until it novas, the energy of the nova causing the creation of all elements above iron (and beneath).

In our hypothetical fusion transmutation machine the energy needed to make a small amount of heavy elements would be far less than a nova. When a sun novas it greats awesome amount of energy and heavy elements, we only want to replicate that on a vastly smaller scale.

I guess that it would be possible at CERN and elsewhere. They have particles that are energetic enough.

This wiki page is good for a quick catchup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution"

Last edited by a moderator:

Flicking through good old wiki leads me to wonder if it would be possible to make a transmutation machine (either through fusion or a particle accelerator). The heat needed is on the order of gigakelvins and ridiculously high pressure. It might be possible to create these conditions but I'm not sure if the machine could make elements above iron without degenerating into an explosion. I'm not sure how one would transmute materials without a mini-controllable star.

This isn't my area of expertise at all but if I were to have to put my money where my mouth is I'd guess that some future civilisation could build a transmutation machine but they would really have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for resources, the energy and technology needed suggests that mining anywhere in the solar system shouldn't be a problem for you.

Rather than get all those solar panels, wouldn't it be more economical to get heat from deep down in the Earth and use it to run steam turbines? Also there are solar pannel alternatives that use mirrors focusing the sun's light on pipes that heat water to a boil to power turbines. We can only build so many conventional solar panels before we run out of silicone, or prices go through the roof.

michaelwoodco said:
Rather than get all those solar panels, wouldn't it be more economical to get heat from deep down in the Earth and use it to run steam turbines? Also there are solar pannel alternatives that use mirrors focusing the sun's light on pipes that heat water to a boil to power turbines. We can only build so many conventional solar panels before we run out of silicone, or prices go through the roof.

Or we could just make the silicone on the transmutation station lol.

Isn't it Silicon? I thought Silicones were solid figures that behave in a daft manner or a form of plastic.

sophiecentaur said:
Isn't it Silicon? I thought Silicones were solid figures that behave in a daft manner or a form of plastic.

It is silicon, it was trying to make a joke. I failed.

ryan_m_b said:
It is silicon, it was trying to make a joke. I failed.

I don't think the first mention of silicone was a joke tho'. :smile:

Related to The Sun's Energy: Transmuting Elements to Rare Metals

1. What is the purpose of unlocking the sun's energy?

The purpose of unlocking the sun's energy is to find a sustainable and renewable energy source to meet our growing energy demands. The sun's energy is abundant and can potentially provide a nearly limitless supply of energy for our planet.

2. How do scientists transmute elements to rare metals?

Scientists use a process called nuclear transmutation to convert one element into another. This process involves bombarding a target element with high-energy particles, such as protons or neutrons, to change its atomic structure and create a new element.

3. What elements can be transmuted into rare metals?

Elements that have a lower atomic number, such as lead, bismuth, and thorium, can be transmuted into rare metals like gold, platinum, and palladium. These elements have similar atomic structures and can be easily converted through nuclear transmutation.

4. Is unlocking the sun's energy through transmutation safe?

Transmutation itself is a safe process as it does not produce any harmful radiation. However, the high-energy particles used in the process can be dangerous if not handled properly. Strict safety measures are in place to ensure the safety of scientists and the environment.

5. What are the potential benefits of unlocking the sun's energy through transmutation?

The potential benefits of unlocking the sun's energy through transmutation are numerous. It can provide a nearly limitless supply of clean and renewable energy, reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and help mitigate the effects of climate change. It can also have economic benefits by creating a new source of rare metals for various industries.