The sum of elastic and gravitational energy

In summary: You have to use the law of conservation of energy to answer the questions. Your answers are then evidence that the law is valid.In summary, the gravitational energy of the 20kg ball at its apex 2.0m above the trampoline is 400J. The kinetic energy of the ball just before impacting the trampoline is also 400J, as all energy is transferred into kinetic energy. At maximum stretch at the bottom of the motion, the sum of elastic and gravitational energy of the ball is 0J, indicating that all of the initial energy has been converted into kinetic energy. This is in accordance with the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed
buonastella

Homework Statement

1. What is the gravitational energy (relative to the unstretched surface of the trampoline) of the 20kg ball at its apex 2.0m above the trampoline
2. What is the kinetic energy of the ball just before impacting the trampoline
3. At maximum stretch at the bottom of the motion, what is the sum of elastic and gravitational energy of the ball?
4. What conclusions can you draw for the answers above

Homework Equations

I think I've got them all right except 3 in which I am not sure how to approach it

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Eg = mgh = 392J
sig digs make it 400J

2. All energy is transferred into kinetic energy therefore
Ek = 400J

3. ? Like what I've got is mg(2 +x) but like I'm not sure if I'm approaching it correctly

4. Through the answers above, I can conclude that energy is always conserved through the law of conservation of energy

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is some part of the problem statement missing.
(3) can be solved with energy conservation alone.

mfb said:
I think there is some part of the problem statement missing.
(3) can be solved with energy conservation alone.
What do you mean?

buonastella said:
3. ? Like what I've got is mg(2 +x) but like I'm not sure if I'm approaching it correctly
Hint : What is the KE of the object at maximum stretch ? What was it initially ? What does the work - energy theorem state ?

buonastella said:
what I've got is mg(2 +x)
That's the loss in PE, but that's not what you are asked for.
Bear in mind that you are taking the zero PE level as the unstretched trampoline height. In that frame, you started with 400J. Where has all that gone when at bottom of bounce?
buonastella said:
I can conclude that energy is always conserved
No, you cannot conclude that. You assumed that in order to answer the questions.

Related to The sum of elastic and gravitational energy

What is the sum of elastic and gravitational energy?

The sum of elastic and gravitational energy is the total potential energy stored in a system due to both elastic forces and gravitational forces acting on it.

How is the sum of elastic and gravitational energy calculated?

The sum of elastic and gravitational energy can be calculated by adding together the elastic potential energy and the gravitational potential energy of the system.

What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a system due to the deformation of an elastic material. This energy is released when the material returns to its original shape.

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in a system due to the gravitational forces between objects. It is dependent on the mass and height of the objects in the system.

Why is the sum of elastic and gravitational energy important?

The sum of elastic and gravitational energy is important because it helps us understand the potential energy of a system and how it can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. It also plays a role in various scientific fields, such as mechanics and thermodynamics.