Tonight I Visit The The Bowlless Bowl

• Thread starter TENYEARS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of being in the matrix and how it can lead to a cleansing and clearer understanding. The participants also mention a new movie and personal visions that have been experienced. Ideas about proving the existence of an unseen reality and the role of consistency in understanding are also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try out ideas on a smaller scale before presenting them to the world.
Originally posted by FZ+
Jeez... I thought you read the site...

Now notice the words NOT FOR PROFIT. The .org tag is taken very seriously. Throw away the comments on raking it in, because legally, they don't mean jack.

The goal of the prize is very plain. As is the way it is only part of their overall activities, and that the money is an offer. Also notice "mutually agreed scientific conditions".

I suggest you read the site properly at:
http://www.randi.org/jref/index.html
And then make a criticism, if you still can.
Oh, did you check out this page? And I was just guessing when I brought it up. If you people want to scrutinize other people's motives, then I don't see any reason why James Randi should be exempt either. Do you really think they would be able to "stay in business" if it wasn't for their millon dollar gimmick?

http://www.randi.org/jref/join.html

Why Join the JREF?
The James Randi Educational Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1996. Its aim is to promote critical thinking by reaching out to the public and media with reliable information about paranormal and supernatural ideas so widespread in our society today.
Members support the work of James Randi and the Foundation.

All members receive:

Satisfaction of involvement
Personal membership card
10% discount on books & other cool stuff
Signed letter from James Randi
All new members get their choice of a JREF pen, mug or t-shirt. See below!
Hmm ... Founded in 1996. Wasn't that about the time that the Nova program aired? Actually I think it first aired in 1994 ...

New Members Get a Gift
New members get their choice of:

Official JREF Ceramic Coffee Mug
With spiffy inscription. Suitable for decaf and regular coffee. May be used indoors or outdoors.
Official JREF Pen
Good quality item. Writes in any language. Sexy maroon color, trimmed in homeopathic gold. Takes standard refills.
Official JREF T-shirt
With a fierce portrait of James Randi on it. Sizes S, L, XL. Two arm-holes, one neck-hole. Oh yes, and one waist-hole. May be washed if needed.
Please mention in the subject box whether you want a XL t-shirt, pen or mug with your new membership.
Spiffy inscription? ... Suitable for decaf and regular? ... Sexy maroon? ... I mean, what are they trying to sell?

Already a member and want something? http://www.randi.org/shopping/index.html"
Hmm ... All kinds of neat stuff to buy on this page!

Act Now, Join Today!
Please select the level of membership you want. To view membership rewards, see below.

Patron ... $10,000
Benefactor ... $5,000
Sponsor ... $2,500
Supporter ... $1,000
Friend .... $250
Individual ... $100
Introductory* ... $50
Student ... $25
Boy, that $10,000 package sure seems a bit more than what they were charging for the remote viewing package?

Well, it looks to me like the Randi Foundation is pretty well set up here. Sorry, but I don't buy into it! Hey, I'm willing to let the whole thing go right now but, since you seem to have the inherent need to defend that which, for all intents and purposes can't be defended (or judged any differently than some of these other claims), then I feel obliged to respond. Forgive me for being skeptical!

P.S. I probably will let it go at this point, as I don't feel there's much else for me to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a "business". The membership fees enter the foundation's funds, as do the things sold from the shop. Hence the non-profit making tag. Maybe the words sponsorship, or donation would be a clue? Giving member's free mugs somehow doesn't qualify for "Randi's raking it in". And you still haven't shown how any profit making would affect the carrying out of the tests. Compare the price of the items in the shop with the membership fees. Is PF skewed because Greg offers PF T-shirts? You are grabbing at air here...

Look at all these other heinous money grabbers:
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/catalogue/
http://amnestyusa.org/join/participate.html
https://www.greenpeace.com/forms/gpicontr.html
http://www.dvou.org/makeadonation.html
[insert pointless wry comments as neccessary]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by FZ+
It's not a "business". The membership fees enter the foundation's funds, as do the things sold from the shop. Hence the non-profit making (ie. charity) tag. Maybe the words sponsorship, or donation would be a clue? Giving member's free mugs somehow doesn't qualify for "Randi's raking it in". And you still haven't shown how any profit making would affect the carrying out of the tests. Compare the price of the items in the shop with the membership fees. Is PF skewed because Greg offers PF T-shirts? You are grabbing at air here...
Would you care to read about one of my own "psychic events?" In fact I think if Randi happened to be there when it happened I could have very easily qualified for the $1,000,000. And yet that's not the nature of how it works, not for me anyway, as it's more a matter of going through process, with an open mind, while taking heed of the signs, and waiting to see what happens. Very rarely do I know what's going to happen beforehand. And yet if you read the page you would have to acknowledge that what I'm alluding to is paranormal.

http://www.dionysus.org/x0901.html

The all too obvious question is:
How do you know it wasn't a dream brought on by your encounter with the bag of potatos, which triggered a previous memory of the big chief Joseph event. Or perhaps how did you know, this long after the actual vision (15 years and all) that your mind has not in fact changed your memory to something more extraordinary than it was?

Which almost brings one back to the point of the thread. :wink: The failing with all these fishbowl things is that one can never realize whether you are in the fishbowl looking out, or outside the fishbowl looking in, or if this fishbowl exists at all. If you insist on an open mind, can you truly say whether or not your mind is simply closed in a way that you think of as open, and those you find closed minded are simply open in a different direction to you?

Originally posted by FZ+
The all too obvious question is:
How do you know it wasn't a dream brought on by your encounter with the bag of potatos, which triggered a previous memory of the big chief Joseph event. Or perhaps how did you know, this long after the actual vision (15 years and all) that your mind has not in fact changed your memory to something more extraordinary than it was?
This is the typical kind of response you would expect from James Randi. You obviously didn't read it very closely. I didn't just write the whole thing down yesterday, as you seem to suggest. And, although it wasn't unil 1991 that I did write it down, I do have a good method of recall, nor am I the one to embellish things (i.e., embellishment = no credibility). Of course the dream was related to the bag of potatoes, as was everything else related (to American Indians) over this period of a few days. Neither did I know who Chief Joseph was at the time, nor had I seen the movie before. Do you understand that everything led up to the phone-call which occurred during the movie?

Hey, it either happended the way I said I did or it didn't, if you can't accept that, so be it! But don't come preaching to me that such things aren't possible ... and then try backing it up by some self-proclaimed moron who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!

Which almost brings one back to the point of the thread. :wink: The failing with all these fishbowl things is that one can never realize whether you are in the fishbowl looking out, or outside the fishbowl looking in, or if this fishbowl exists at all. If you insist on an open mind, can you truly say whether or not your mind is simply closed in a way that you think of as open, and those you find closed minded are simply open in a different direction to you?
Hogwash! ... You really must refrain from speaking about those things which you don't comprehend.

This is the typical kind of response you would expect from James Randi.
How many responses have you seen from James Randi?

And, although it wasn't unil 1991 that I did write it down, I do have a good method of recall, nor am I the one to embellish things (i.e., embellishment = no credibility).
What is your method of recall?

Neither did I know who Chief Joseph was at the time, nor had I seen the movie before.
No, but the bag of potatos was inspired by General Joseph's story, and you can easily have remembered it subconsciously. (It is very hard to remember NOT remembering something, as studies have shown)

But don't come preaching to me that such things aren't possible ... and then try backing it up by some self-proclaimed moron who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!
I did not notice the section where I preached that such things aren't possible. Maybe you might point that out? I am saying simply that:
"And yet if you read the page you would have to acknowledge that what I'm alluding to is paranormal." is untrue, and there are many other explanations that are not paranormal.
Mayhaps you are reading too much into what I write?

Hogwash! ... You really must refrain from speaking about those things which you don't comprehend.
Oh? So you say that you are in direct contact with the truth and know for certain about the limitations of everyone else's knowledge while being certain in the absolute nature of your own? It is a matter of common sense that no one know everything.

Originally posted by FZ+
How many responses have you seen from James Randi?
I've seen the Nova program twice, in 1994 and possibly 1997? Have also been to his website a couple of times, and even corresponded with him by e-mail once shortly after I set up my webpage in 1997. It was more out of curiosity and, when I told him about my webpage, he replied with a couple of snide remarks, as if to say, "I'm not prepared to give you the time of day."

What is your method of recall?
Actually I don't make it much of point to remember anything, except when something like this occurs, at which point I stop, take everything in, highlight the key points, and begin the process of reciting it periodically while focusing on the key points (in conjunction with something else that might possibly be related}.

No, but the bag of potatos was inspired by General Joseph's story, and you can easily have remembered it subconsciously. (It is very hard to remember NOT remembering something, as studies have shown)
That's Chief Joseph by the way. And no, the bag of potatoes (1) was the first thing that occurred and, since I had never seen a bag of potatoes with an Indian on it (fully blown I might add), it just stuck out in mind. Therefore it just kind of set the tone (or theme) for the dream (2) which happened a couple of nights later which, no doubt inspired me to work with American Indians in my mediation a day or two later, wherein I had the vision of an Indian pulling a knife on a settler (3), and later that same day the movie came on about Chief Joseph (4), before I got the phone-call from Nez Perce, Idaho (5) during the movie ... So it's like I said it's all related. Whereas I think the correct term here would be "synchronicity."

http://www.dionysus.org/

I did not notice the section where I preached that such things aren't possible. Maybe you might point that out? I am saying simply that:
"And yet if you read the page you would have to acknowledge that what I'm alluding to is paranormal." is untrue, and there are many other explanations that are not paranormal.
Mayhaps you are reading too much into what I write?
Excuse me? Were you there? And what were you just saying about this whole "fish bowl" thing? And yet we are speaking of something that I've studied and become familiar with over the past 25 years. So you may wish to consider the possibility that I do know what I'm talking about.

Oh? So you say that you are in direct contact with the truth and know for certain about the limitations of everyone else's knowledge while being certain in the absolute nature of your own? It is a matter of common sense that no one know everything.
And yet if you were to consider it from the standpoint that I am telling you the truth, then obviously, the truth is not being cultivated here. In which case I would have to argue, "What's the point?"

Actually I don't make it much of point to remember anything, except when something like this occurs, at which point I stop, take everything in, highlight the key points, and begin the process of reciting it periodically while focusing on the key points (in conjunction with something else that might possibly be related}.
I would repeat - it is hard to remember not knowing about something.
Excuse me? Were you there? And what were you just saying about this whole "fish bowl" thing? And yet we are speaking of something that I've studied and become familiar with over the past 25 years. So you may wish to consider the possibility that I do know what I'm talking about.
And you may need to consider the possibility you are wrong. Notice that I have not yet said at all that what you state is wrong, or that it is impossible etc. So please don't be so hostile.

I would like you to try to see it from my perspective - I have NOT experienced it. I do not know how you in that much detail. I have no evidence, but to trust in the complete accuracy of your words. I have not studied any of the probabilities involved. And I do not know if there is any bias which may have skewed your retelling. To me, several mundane possibilities have not been eliminated, in that it may not be a psychic event, but a mere co-incidence. To me, it is uncertain. If I have experienced it as you have, maybe I'll feel differently. If you lived life as I have, maybe you'll see things differently.

And yet if you were to consider it from the standpoint that I am telling you the truth, then obviously, the truth is not being cultivated here. In which case I would have to argue, "What's the point?"
The fishbowl came from the title of the thread, and the initial suggestion by TENYEARS that we (except him of course) are all living in the analogical fishbowl, which we consider to be the universe despite the realities out there. My philosophy is the following - this is wrong because for all others it is similarly possible to see others as being in the fishbowl and us without, and to use his analogy, it is impossible to determine whether one is outside the fishbowl looking in, or inside the fishbowl looking out. But a barrier exists in the difference between our experiences - as the above demonstrated. I propose that we each construct the barrier of mind, and in the end this barrier does not distinguish discrete bowls but that we each see what is partially true in a different way, and that to pretend there is no fishbowl and that an absolutely open perspective is possible is unrealistic.

Originally posted by FZ+

I would like you to try to see it from my perspective - I have NOT experienced it. I do not know how you in that much detail. I have no evidence, but to trust in the complete accuracy of your words. I have not studied any of the probabilities involved. And I do not know if there is any bias which may have skewed your retelling. To me, several mundane possibilities have not been eliminated, in that it may not be a psychic event, but a mere co-incidence. To me, it is uncertain. If I have experienced it as you have, maybe I'll feel differently. If you lived life as I have, maybe you'll see things differently.

I agree wth all of this, and would add that the rest of us have a right to ask for some confirmation or proof before we take you seriously. Like FZ+ said, there are more mundane explanations that need to be eliminated before some of us willl believe a fantasical story.

Originally posted by Zero
I agree wth all of this, and would add that the rest of us have a right to ask for some confirmation or proof before we take you seriously. Like FZ+ said, there are more mundane explanations that need to be eliminated before some of us willl believe a fantasical story.
Actually, the only way you're going to believe any of this is if you can establish a basis by which to accept it for yourself. Meaning you have to have some sort of working idea of it your mind and understand how it works ... in other words by working with it.

This is something Randi needs to know as well, that you just can't come out point blank and say prove to me that it works, not without understanding what it means to get from point A to point B, and why things occur the way they do. And no, you may not be able to reproduce the results (which isn't to say it's not impossible), but at least you'll understand what the results mean.

Indeed it's very much like trying to predict which way the wind blows. You may not understand "from whence it comes and whence it goes," similar to what it says about being born of the spirit in John 3:5-8, but that doesn't change the fact that the wind doesn't exist. And yet if we learn how to construct a sail, and put it on a boat (regarding "our lives"), then it doesn't matter, because we can now harness the wind from whichever direction it blows.

If you would like to read about an experience which was the pivotal point of my life, that's even more significant than the Chief Joseph account, then please follow the link ...

http://www.dionysus.org/x0501.html

Originally posted by Iacchus32
Actually, the only way you're going to believe any of this is if you can establish a basis by which to accept it for yourself. Meaning you have to have some sort of working idea of it your mind and understand how it works ... in other words by working with it.

This is something Randi needs to know as well, that you just can't come out point blank and say prove to me that it works, not without understanding what it means to get from point A to point B, and why things occur the way they do. And no, you may not be able to reproduce the results (which isn't to say it's not impossible), but at least you'll understand what the results mean.

Indeed it's very much like trying to predict which way the wind blows. You may not understand "from whence it comes and whence it goes," similar to what it says about being born of the spirit in John 3:5-8, but that doesn't change the fact that the wind doesn't exist. And yet if we learn how to construct a sail, and put it on a boat (regarding "our lives"), then it doesn't matter, because we can now harness the wind from whichever direction it blows.

If you would like to read about an experience which was the pivotal point of my life, that's even more significant than the Chief Joseph account, then please follow the link ...

http://www.dionysus.org/x0501.html

Nevertheless, I seen to suggest that I have to brainwash myself to accept delusion as evidence, and it simply won't fly for me.

Originally posted by Zero
Nevertheless, I seen to suggest that I have to brainwash myself to accept delusion as evidence, and it simply won't fly for me.
And what does the word "delusion" suggest, if not outright bias? It's like I said, there's no need to carry this any further. Some people, if not the vast majority, will never get it.

Originally posted by Iacchus32
And what does the word "delusion" suggest, if not outright bias? It's like I said, there's no need to carry this any further. Some people, if not the vast majority, will never get it.

Ever consider that you don't actually present anything for us to 'get'? Open your mind to THAT possibility.

Zero, Iacchus32 and anyone who wishes to partake, think of a method proof which would be considered valid to you. What is needed is a brainstorm list of what would be considered valid proof or a method or methods of proving beyond the shadow of a doubt. I already have one that I have been speaking about for years. I think in the right manner it can be turned in upon itself to create a circle of unbroken proof as good as anything else which is considered proof of anything else by someone else. I can now not post for a few days. I will be back.

Originally posted by TENYEARS
Zero, Iacchus32 and anyone who wishes to partake, think of a method proof which would be considered valid to you. What is needed is a brainstorm list of what would be considered valid proof or a method or methods of proving beyond the shadow of a doubt. I already have one that I have been speaking about for years. I think in the right manner it can be turned in upon itself to create a circle of unbroken proof as good as anything else which is considered proof of anything else by someone else. I can now not post for a few days. I will be back.

Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?

Matrixism

Dissident Dan said:
I dub this thread a matrixism.

As one who subscribes to its beliefs I have to take exception to the use of the word Matrixism. Matrixism is a genuine religion spawned in part from the movie The Matrix but with a greater history. It is no big whoop but I figured that I should point this out.

If you are curious about just what Matrixism is you can peruse a short description of it at http://www.geocities.com/matrixism :smile:

"Originally posted by Iacchus32

http://www.dionysus.org/x0501.html "

hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha! :D bwaaaaahahahahaaaa! :D:D:D :rofl: :rofl:
this is great... I'm almost soory i put this guy on my ignore list... this is amazingly good entertainment :D

"but that doesn't change the fact that the wind doesn't exist. And yet if we learn how to construct a sail, and put it on a boat (regarding "our lives"), then it doesn't matter, because we can now harness the wind from whichever direction it blows."
HEEEEEHEHEHEHEHEHE! :D:D :rofl: :rofl: