The standard model, a couple of q's

In summary: Model..." you know you're talking about the SM and you know what the gauge groups are.In summary, the standard model describes 3 closely related Yang-Mills systems, with some people using "Yang-Mills" to refer to nonabelian gauge theory and others using it interchangeably with "gauge theory." The subscripts in SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) refer to the different gauge symmetries for QCD, weak nuclear force, and hypercharge. The matter fields in the standard model refer to fermions, specifically quarks and leptons. The inclusion of subscripts is a matter of choice in writings such as papers or dissertations.
karnten07
I have a couple of questions about the standard model:

1.) I read somewhere that the standard model describes 3 closely related Yang-Mills systems, but i thought yang-mills systems were non-abelian whereas U(1) is abelian. So is the statement false or have i misunderstood?

2.)Why do i see subscripts for the gauge symettries of SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) and they are soemtimes different depending where i read from. Can anyone guide me on this please?

Many thanks

karnten07

Physics news on Phys.org
karnten07 said:
I have a couple of questions about the standard model:

1.) I read somewhere that the standard model describes 3 closely related Yang-Mills systems, but i thought yang-mills systems were non-abelian whereas U(1) is abelian. So is the statement false or have i misunderstood?

this is just semantics. Some people use "Yang-Mills" to refer to nonabelian gauge theory, while others use "Yang-Mills" and "gauge theory" interchangably. It doesn't really make a difference what you call it! ;-)

2.)Why do i see subscripts for the gauge symettries of SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) and they are soemtimes different depending where i read from. Can anyone guide me on this please?

Many thanks

karnten07

SU(3) or SU(3)_C refers to QCD - the gauge theory of the strong interaction; the C stands for "color", referring to the three color charges of QCD.

SU(2) or SU(2)_W or SU(2)_L all refer to part of the gauge theory of the weak nuclear force. The W stands for "Weak" while the "L" stands for "left-handed", since left-handed fields are charged under this group while the right handed fields are not.

U(1) or U(1)_Y refers to the other part of the electroweak force, called "hypercharge" (denoted "Y" purely for historical reasons). The SU(2) x U(1) break to make U(1)_EM, the electromagnetic force.

Hope that helps!

blechman said:
this is just semantics. Some people use "Yang-Mills" to refer to nonabelian gauge theory, while others use "Yang-Mills" and "gauge theory" interchangably. It doesn't really make a difference what you call it! ;-)

SU(3) or SU(3)_C refers to QCD - the gauge theory of the strong interaction; the C stands for "color", referring to the three color charges of QCD.

SU(2) or SU(2)_W or SU(2)_L all refer to part of the gauge theory of the weak nuclear force. The W stands for "Weak" while the "L" stands for "left-handed", since left-handed fields are charged under this group while the right handed fields are not.

U(1) or U(1)_Y refers to the other part of the electroweak force, called "hypercharge" (denoted "Y" purely for historical reasons). The SU(2) x U(1) break to make U(1)_EM, the electromagnetic force.

Hope that helps!

That is most helpful, thankyou. Just so I'm clear, are the subscripts used to show that we are doing physics and not just talking about the mathematical groups or are they just there to remind us of what each is representative of?

Also, i read that the SM involves these 3 systems, the higgs field and several matter fields. What are the matter fields?

Last edited:
karnten07 said:
That is most helpful, thankyou. Just so I'm clear, are the subscripts used to show that we are doing physics and not just talking about the mathematical groups or are they just there to remind us of what each is representative of?

yes... and yes. why do you have an "or"?!

Also, i read that the SM involves these 3 systems, the higgs field and several matter fields. What are the matter fields?

"matter fields" are the fermions - quarks and leptons.

blechman said:

Indeed. Particularly since the original theory of Yang and Mills was incorrect. They tried to use this to explain the interaction between hadrons and failed. What we call Yang-Mills today are generalizations of this original idea - which I have to say was brilliant, even if it was originally applied to the wrong thing. But where you draw the line at generalizations is, at some level, arbitrary.

I would probably be inclined to take a historical approach, and call everything that isn't a U(1) a Yang-Mills theory. But that's my choice, and others probably differ.

blechman said:
yes... and yes. why do you have an "or"?!

"matter fields" are the fermions - quarks and leptons.

Ok that's very helpful, is it a matter of choice to include these subscripts or is it a must to include them for things like papers or dissertations?

Vanadium 50 said:
Indeed. Particularly since the original theory of Yang and Mills was incorrect. They tried to use this to explain the interaction between hadrons and failed. What we call Yang-Mills today are generalizations of this original idea - which I have to say was brilliant, even if it was originally applied to the wrong thing. But where you draw the line at generalizations is, at some level, arbitrary.

The same can be said about Kaluza-Klein modes, which now refer to any extra modes you get from a field when compactifying on an extra dimension, whereas THE KK modes of Kaluza's and Klein's 1920-something paper refer to a pure gravitational theory with a single extra dimension compactified on a circle. But the idea was generic enough to keep the name for any generalization.

I would probably be inclined to take a historical approach, and call everything that isn't a U(1) a Yang-Mills theory. But that's my choice, and others probably differ.

since we're collecting opinions, with all due respect to Yang and Mills, of course, I just refer to all of these as "Gauge Theories" and don't worry about whether or not there are abelian factors. But whatever...

karnten07 said:
Ok that's very helpful, is it a matter of choice to include these subscripts or is it a must to include them for things like papers or dissertations?

Are you writing a thesis? I guess you include the subscripts if you want to emphasize the point. But usually people can figure it out. If you see the words

"Standard Model"

followed by the symbols

SU(3) x SU(2) x U(1)

I think it's pretty clear what the paper is talking about!

Related to The standard model, a couple of q's

What is the standard model?

The standard model is a theory in particle physics that describes the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions.

What are the fundamental particles described in the standard model?

The fundamental particles described in the standard model are quarks, leptons, and bosons.

How many fundamental particles are there in the standard model?

There are 17 fundamental particles in the standard model.

What are the four fundamental forces described in the standard model?

The four fundamental forces described in the standard model are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

Has the standard model been proven to be accurate?

The standard model has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of particles in experiments. However, it is not a complete theory and does not account for phenomena such as gravity and dark matter.