The splitting field of f over F is also the splitting field of f also over E

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between field extensions $F\subseteq E\subseteq K$ and the splitting field $K$ of a non-constant polynomial $f\in F[x]$. It is shown that if $K$ is the splitting field of $f$ over $F$, then it is also the splitting field over $E$. This is proven by demonstrating that $K$ is the smallest field containing $E$ and all the roots of $f$. The conversation also includes a question about the correctness and potential improvements of the explanation.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $F\subseteq E\subseteq K$ be consecutive field extensions and $f\in F[x]$ be non-constant.
I want to show that if $K$ is the splitting field of $f$ over $F$, then $K$ is the splitting field of $f$ also over $E$.

Since $K$ is the splitting field of $f$ over $F$, we have that $f(x) = c\prod (x-a_i)^{m_i}$, where $m_i$ are non-negative integers and $(x-a_i)\in K[x]$.
Since $F\subseteq E$ we have that $f\in E[x]$. Therefore, $K$ must be also the splitting field of $f$ also over $E$.

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
I changed something... Since $K$ is the splitting field of $f$ over $F$, we have that $f(x) = c(x-a_1)\cdots (x-a_n)$, where $c\in F, a_1, \dots a_n\in K$ and $K=F[a_1, \dots , a_n]$.

Since $F\subseteq E$ we have that $f(x) = c\prod (x-a_i)^{m_i}\in E[x]$ and $F[a_1, \dots , a_n]\subseteq E[a_1, \dots , a_n] \Rightarrow K\subseteq E[a_1, \dots , a_n]$.

Since $E\subseteq K$ and $a_i\in K$ we have that $E[a_1, \dots , a_n]\subseteq K$.

Therefore, $K=E[a_1, \dots , a_n]$.

So, $K$ is the splitting field of $f$ also over $E$.
Is this correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

Related to The splitting field of f over F is also the splitting field of f also over E

What is a splitting field?

A splitting field of a polynomial f over a field F is an extension field E of F in which f can be completely factored into linear factors.

Why is it important that the splitting field of f over F is also the splitting field of f over E?

This property ensures that all the roots of f are contained in both fields, making it easier to solve equations involving f and its roots.

Can there be multiple splitting fields for the same polynomial over the same field?

No, by definition, a splitting field is unique up to isomorphism.

What if f cannot be completely factored into linear factors over F?

Then the splitting field of f over F does not exist, and it may be necessary to extend the field F further in order to find a splitting field for f.

Are there any other properties of splitting fields that are important to know?

Yes, splitting fields have the property that any automorphism of the field F that leaves all elements of E fixed must also leave all elements of E fixed. This is known as the "fixed field" property and is useful in studying Galois theory.