The spin of the photon -- a weird experiment with a laser

In summary, by conducting an experiment with a ne-ne laser and a spectral analyzer, the speaker observed changes in polarization of the laser beam passing through a cuvette with different substances. These changes are a result of the interaction between the photons and molecules or atoms in the substance, as well as interference effects when passing through closed loops. The spectrum analyzer records these changes in intensity, providing insight into the dynamic process of polarization changes.
donavi
Без имени-1.jpg

Hello everybody, I'm playing with a ne -ne laser
And i conducted an interesting experiment
I did colliding beams the type of interferometer Fabry Pero
between the mirrors I put the cuvette with different substances
I tried to detect changes of polarization of the laser beam with the help of a spectral analyzer
and I noticed that the spectrum is slightly different and depending on the what substances in the cuvette i pour.

I want to understand at a fundamental level what happen with the polarization of the laser beam passing through a cuvette with a different substance?

and what happens with the spin of a photon which hit on the molecule or atoms of the substance in cuvette
and what happens when the spin of the photon many times that he passes through closed loops of the two mirrors?

it is not entirely clear what information is logged spectrum analyzer.o_O
in my understanding, is logged just the motion of molecules in a substance in the cuvette
and two mirrors is just the amplifier to record the movement of molecules in the cuvette
but why change the polarization depending on the different substances, i see it is a dynamic process

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
and it is not clear to me.The answer to these questions lies in the quantum mechanical properties of light. When a photon interacts with a molecule or atom, its spin can be changed. This change in spin can lead to changes in the polarization of the incident photon. The changes in polarization depend on the type of molecule or atom that the photon interacts with. Furthermore, when the photon passes through closed loops between the two mirrors, it can experience interference effects which can also affect its polarization. Finally, the spectrum analyzer records changes in the intensity of the different components of the polarized light, which can reveal the changes in polarization.

Related to The spin of the photon -- a weird experiment with a laser

1. What is the spin of a photon?

The spin of a photon refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a photon, which is a type of elementary particle that makes up light. It is a quantum mechanical property that determines the polarization of light and its behavior in magnetic fields.

2. How is the spin of a photon measured in this experiment?

In this experiment, a laser is used to split a beam of photons into two paths, and then the two paths are recombined. By measuring the interference pattern of the recombined beam, the spin of the photons can be determined. If the photons have opposite spins, they will cancel each other out and show a dark interference pattern, while if they have the same spin, they will reinforce each other and show a bright interference pattern.

3. Why is this experiment considered "weird"?

This experiment is considered "weird" because it challenges our classical understanding of light as a wave. Instead, it demonstrates the particle-like behavior of light and the role of quantum mechanics in explaining its properties.

4. What are the implications of this experiment in the field of physics?

This experiment has important implications in the field of quantum mechanics, as it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and the role of spin in determining its properties. It also has potential applications in quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

5. Are there any practical applications of this experiment?

While this experiment is primarily used for scientific research and understanding the nature of light, it also has potential practical applications. For example, the measurement and control of photon spin could be used in telecommunications to improve data transmission and security.