The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma

In summary, researchers have discovered cusp confinement in a recent Navy publication, which could be a major step towards fusion power. The plasma used in the experiment consisted of electrons, hydrogen ions/neutrals, carbon, a noble gas, and a negligible amount of air/junk. The experiment involved injecting 3 amps of electrons for 150 microseconds at 7,200 volts in a vacuum chamber and controlling three variables - plasma gun, electron gun, and magnetic field. The results were interpreted through radiation data, including hard X-ray data, and the odd component of carbon was injected in addition to the usual deuterium and electrons. There are formulas available to predict the spectra of such plasmas. A pure electron plasma does not have a
PolywellGuy
Hello All,

In this recent Navy publication, a team of researchers said they have discovered cusp confinement. This could be a major step towards fusion power. I am working on a write up of this publication. I am trying to understand their inferometry data. As far as I can tell, the plasma was made of (in order by strength):

1. Electrons (likely the greatest component)
2. Hydrogen ions/neutrals
3. Carbon
4. A noble gas of some kind
5. Air/junk (negligible amount)

These things were probably (+), (-) and neutrals.

Does anyone have the spectrum for a pure electron plasma?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plasmas usally are macroscopically electrically neutral, consisting of electrons and ions from the original atoms.

This experiment specifically went for (-) plasma; AKA the "quasineutral" assumption does not apply. The Navy/LANL team injected 3 amps of electrons for 150 microseconds at 7,200 volts. This is what the device looked like compared to earlier (2005) experiments:

cyDAfGe.png

This was inside a cube vacuum chamber, 45 cm a side. The electron guns were the blue objects. The plasma guns are in red. For a shot, the Navy had control of three variables: (1) plasma gun (2) electron gun and (3) the containing magnetic field. Here is a timeline of one shot:

2SCouXH.png

This experiment had five stages to it:

1. Control - The chamber is under vacuum (no pressure is given) and magnetic fields are on.

2. Injection - This is when the electron and plasma guns are switched on.

3. Formation

4. High Beta Mode - This is the fabled "cusped plasma confinement"; long predicted, never observed.

5. Dissipation

The navy is proving all of this by interpreting the radiation off of the cloud. For example their hard X-ray data shows high plasma confinement.

RGKwxu2.png

Much of their data comes from shielded detectors, reading a light signal. In visible, X-ray, ect.. I need a better understanding of expected output from a plasma cloud like this. For example, if the cloud was just deuterium the light coming off of it would look like this:

GBvWhvO.png

In this case, the navy blocked all but the H-Alpha line. That is the spike at 656 nanometers.

Unfortunately, I can only guess at what the plasma was made of (see my list above). The odd component was carbon. Normally, the system would be deuterium, deuterium+, electrons and a trace of junk. They injected carbon. Finally, I know there are formulas to predict these spectra and that maybe a good place to start.

I won't try to answer your question, since it is not an area of expertise for me. However my guess is that how the plasma is generated would be a major determining factor.

A pure electron plasma doesn't have a spectrum. You need some other ion species in there. There are two major types of light emission from a plasma: line emission and bremsstrahlung. Line emission comes from electrons bound to nuclei, so there is none from free electrons. Bremsstrahlung comes from the interaction between two different species in a plasma, such as electrons and hydrogen ions. You don't get bremsstrahlung from a pure electron plasma.

Related to The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma

1. What is "The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma"?

"The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma" refers to the distribution of energy levels or frequencies of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by a collection of electrons that are not influenced by any other particles or external forces.

2. How is "The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma" different from other types of spectra?

The main difference is that a pure electron plasma does not have any other particles, such as ions, present to interact with. This means that the energy levels and frequencies of the emitted or absorbed radiation are solely determined by the behavior of the electrons themselves.

3. What factors affect the spectrum of a pure electron plasma?

The spectrum of a pure electron plasma is primarily affected by the number of electrons present, their distribution in space, and their relative velocities. Additionally, the strength of the electric and magnetic fields can also influence the spectrum.

4. How is the spectrum of a pure electron plasma observed?

The spectrum of a pure electron plasma can be observed through various methods, such as using a spectrometer or a radio telescope. The emitted or absorbed radiation can be measured and analyzed to determine the energy levels and frequencies present in the spectrum.

5. What are the applications of studying "The Spectrum for a pure electron plasma"?

Studying the spectrum of a pure electron plasma can help us understand the behavior of electrons in different environments, such as in space or in laboratory experiments. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, including astrophysics, plasma physics, and materials science.