As bad as Iraq is, it pales in comparison

• News
  • Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the Abu Ghraib revelations have generated a great deal of sympathy and disgust around the world. The actions done at the prison pale in comparison to the atrocities that animals around the world suffer on a daily basis.
Dissident Dan
Well, with the revelation of the Abu Ghraib, among other things, sympathies and disgust are reeling forth from around the globe. The acts done arre surely despicable.

But they pale in comparison to what happens here in the USA, in Europe, and other places, on a scale so large as to dwarf anything else. The wanton, widespread, and unimaginable torture that billions of farmed animals, millions of animals in cruel (and most often, useless) experiments, and thousands of animals used for entertainment suffer is beyond me to comprehend. While we lament about a few prisoners in Abu Ghraib, or the weddings that are bombed, creatures who, for their whole lives suffer a combination of intensive confinement, filth, disease, antibiotics, artificial growth hormones, beatings, chemical burns, severing of body parts, brain grafts, and isolation.

The sheer scale--millions in experiments, billions in agriculture--of the suffering warrants attention greater than any other tragedies that continue today within the sphere of human control. In the USA alone, around 10 billion poultry birds are slaughtered after only 7 1/2 weeks, half the time that it took only decades ago(!), due to selective breeding, dark, crowded, filthy environments that prohibit or discourage physical activity, and growth-inducing antibiotics.

The crimes committed in Iraq surely have my ire, and their victims my sympathies. They are despicable occurences. However, I cannot help but see an inconsistency in how we react to these events and what happens and what we support back in our own nations. It is easy to speak out against, condemn, or lament for what transpires in a foreign nation half-way around the world. It is much harder, although much nobler and more honest to notice the atrocities that occur at home for what they are and to react accordingly.

Physics news on Phys.org
absolutely true

I love eating meat :)

phatmonky said:
I love eating meat :)
Last night, I went to a barbecue (I cooked). We had some of the best marinated pork you've ever tasted. And of course also the obligatory burger and dog.

People will continue to kill each other and animals too. These actions will be justified one way or another, if dwelled on at all. People simply enjoy the taste of meat, and mass production of anything, be it animal or otherwise, isn’t designed to ‘feel good’, it’s designed to ‘make good’. Conveniently, the mechanics is concealed from the daily view of most consumers, making for one less thing they need to trouble themselves about.

1. What does the phrase "As bad as Iraq is, it pales in comparison" mean?

The phrase means that even though the situation in Iraq may be bad, there are other situations or events that are much worse in comparison.

2. Why is Iraq often used as a point of comparison for other events or situations?

Iraq is often used as a point of comparison because it has been a site of conflict and turmoil for many years, making it a well-known and relevant example for comparison.

3. What are some examples of situations or events that are often compared to Iraq?

Some examples include other war-torn countries, natural disasters, political scandals, and economic crises.

4. Is the phrase "As bad as Iraq is, it pales in comparison" an accurate statement?

The accuracy of the statement depends on the context and the specific situation being compared. However, the phrase is often used to emphasize the severity of a situation or event.

5. How can the phrase "As bad as Iraq is, it pales in comparison" be interpreted in a positive light?

The phrase can be interpreted as a reminder that no matter how bad things may seem, there are always others who are facing even bigger challenges. It can also serve as a call to action to address issues and strive for improvement.