The Signs of Trigonometric Functions in Quadrant I and II

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of positive and negative values for trigonometric functions based on the quadrant of a given point. It is explained that the x and y components of the point determine the signs of the functions, and specific examples are given for the point (-3,4).
sfeld
I don't understand how they figure these problems out.

Give the quadrant in which each of the following points are located, and determine which of the functions are postive and which are negative.

(4, 3) Quadrant I; SIN +; COS +; TAN +; CSC +; SEC +; COT +;
I understand that I think, but how do they determine (-3,4)? Can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not at all clear that this is the case, but my best guess is that want to know whether each of the trig functions is positive or negative if it were applied to the angle formed by the positive x-axis vector from the origin to the reference point.

If the "point" is (x,y) (as in (-3, 4)) then cos always has the sign of the x-component, sin always has the sign of the y-component. signs of tan, cot, sec, csc, follow from their expression in terms of sign and cos.

In this example sin(θ) is positive (in fact, it is 4/5), cos(θ) is negative (it is -3/5), tan(θ)= sin(θ)/cos(θ)= y/x= -4/3, cot(θ)= cos(&theta)/&sin(theta)= -3/4, sec(θ)= 1/cos(&theta)= -5/3, and csc(θ)= 1/sin(&theta)= 5/4.

Related to The Signs of Trigonometric Functions in Quadrant I and II

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cosecant (csc), secant (sec), and cotangent (cot).

What do sin, cos, and tan represent in a right triangle?

Sin represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cos represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tan represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

What is the relationship between sin, cos, and tan?

The relationship between sin, cos, and tan can be seen through the Pythagorean identity: sin²θ + cos²θ = 1. This means that for any angle θ, the squares of sin and cos added together will always equal 1.

What are the reciprocal trigonometric functions?

The reciprocal trigonometric functions are cosecant (csc), secant (sec), and cotangent (cot). They are the inverse of the basic trigonometric functions and represent the ratios of the hypotenuse to the opposite side, hypotenuse to the adjacent side, and adjacent side to the opposite side, respectively.

How are sin, cos, and tan used in real-life applications?

Sin, cos, and tan are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate distances, angles, and forces. They are also used in navigation and surveying to determine direction and location. In addition, they are used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movement and shapes.