The Seven Bridges Of Konigsberg

• Thread starter sunilkamadolli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridges
In summary, the two questions asked are impossible to solve because they violate Euler's path definition.
sunilkamadolli
Hello Everyone,

I was trying to solve couple of fun problems. Many of you must have heard about the famous The Seven Bridges Of Konigsberg and how Euler solved the puzzle. You can do a quick google...

Here is a diagram if you want it...
http://www.contracosta.cc.ca.us/math/BridgeGraph.GIF

One of the question is:
1) Can you walk from say point B to point A crossing each bridge exactly once.
Answer - This is an Euler path problem. So question can be thought of as: Is there an Euler path from point B to A. Well, B has 5 degrees and A has 3 degrees so start and end points are odd degree but the other points (namely, C and D) are odd . This violates Euler's path definition. So it is not possible.

Is my reasoning correct? :confused:

2) If I am moving from C to B and I must cross each bridge atleast once. what is the minimum number of times I have to cross a bridge?
Answer - Is tracing with the pencil the best way to do this problem. I got 8.

Please respond as soon as possible. Thank You for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1, your conclusion is correct, but your answer is sort-of "fuzzy". I'd answer that question by saying "An Euler path is (you fill in the definition), so this question is asking if there is (...)." Then you can continue by telling what condition is necessary and sufficient for a connected multigraph to have an Euler path. Finally, draw your conclusion by applying that theorem to the particular graph you are dealing with.

For 2, I don't know of any better way. And you already know the answer can't be 7, so if you can show a path crossing 8 edges, what could be better?

Kool. Thanks a lot gnome !

Related to The Seven Bridges Of Konigsberg

1. What is the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem?

The Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem is a famous mathematical problem, first posed by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. It asks whether it is possible to take a walk through the city of Königsberg, crossing each of its seven bridges exactly once and ending at the same point where you started.

2. What makes the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem significant?

The Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem is significant because it was one of the first problems in the field of graph theory, which is now a fundamental branch of mathematics. It also has real-world applications in transportation and network design.

3. What is the solution to the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem?

The solution to the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem is that it is impossible to take a walk that crosses each of the seven bridges exactly once and ends at the starting point. This was proven by Euler in his famous paper "Solutio problematis ad geometriam situs pertinentis" in 1736.

4. How did Euler solve the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem?

Euler used a mathematical concept called a graph to represent the city of Königsberg and its seven bridges. He then showed that for a walk to be possible, each of the vertices (land masses) in the graph must have an even number of edges (bridges) connected to it. Since Königsberg has four vertices with an odd number of edges, it is impossible to take a walk that crosses each bridge exactly once.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem?

Yes, the Seven Bridges of Königsberg problem has real-world applications in transportation and network design. It has also been used as an example in computer science to illustrate algorithms and optimization problems. Additionally, it has inspired further developments in graph theory and mathematics as a whole.