Synthesizing Glucose from Pyruvate: Stuck at 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate

• Thread starter HazZy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glucose
In summary, the student needs to find a site that explains the reverse process of glycolosis in more detail. This process can be reversed, but it requires a lot of energy.
HazZy
pyruvate ---> glucose

ok so my professor gave us the task of synthesizing glucose from pyruvate and I'm stuck somewhere near the middle .

showing all my work so far would clutter this thread quite a bit so i'll simplify.

pyruvate -> oxaloacetate -> phosphoenolpyruvate -> 2-phosphoglycerate -> 3-phosphoglycerate -> 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate -> STUCK HERE!

i see i need to reduce 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate then do keto-enol tautomerization in order for an aldol reaction to form fructose, but i can't figure out what to reduce it with! anyone know? my book doesn't seem to cover this step . thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Glycolosis is the process by which glucose is turned into pyruvate.

Thus, you simple need to see this process, and reverse it.

Here is an explanation of Glycolosis:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/glycol.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
not true, glycolosis releases far too much energy to be reversed. however the step i needed was reversable, thanks.

And that energy is captured from sunlight by chloroplasts in plants :) The reaction IS reversable although it requires a lot of energy.

Originally posted by HazZy
not true, glycolosis releases far too much energy to be reversed. however the step i needed was reversable, thanks.

Come one now guy. Don't try to put controversy into something so simple.

Of course it's true. I've done this experiement myself, man. Not theoretically but experiementally.

Ugh.

can you please point me to a site that deals with the exact reverse reaction of glycolosis? and even if it can be reversed it would be a waste of time since gluconeogenesis(the reaction i was working on) is much more energy efficient :wink:.

Originally posted by HazZy
can you please point me to a site that deals with the exact reverse reaction of glycolosis? and even if it can be reversed it would be a waste of time since gluconeogenesis(the reaction i was working on) is much more energy efficient :wink:.

Not a waste of time if it can have unique results.

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gbowes/bot3503/resp.htm [Broken]

well see they call the reverse reaction of glycolosis "gluconeogenesis" only because you end with the reverse results of glycolosis. it isn't an exact reverse reaction due to the energy given off and three steps that are simply irreversable.

no biggie, it was just a minor correction :wink:.

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~molbio/Courses/MBB_408_512/topics408a2002.pdf [Broken]

7/10 steps are reversable and one of those 7 ended up being the step i was missing, so... thanks.

1. How is glucose synthesized from pyruvate?

The process of synthesizing glucose from pyruvate involves several steps. First, pyruvate is converted into 3-phosphoglycerate, which is then converted into 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate. This molecule is then converted into fructose-1,6-bisphosphate, which is then split into two molecules of glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate. Finally, these molecules are converted into glucose through a series of reactions.

2. What role does 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate play in the synthesis of glucose from pyruvate?

3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate is an important intermediate molecule in the process of synthesizing glucose from pyruvate. It is formed from 3-phosphoglycerate and serves as a precursor for the production of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate, which is a key molecule in the final steps of glucose synthesis.

3. What is the significance of being "stuck" at 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate in the synthesis of glucose from pyruvate?

Being "stuck" at 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate means that the process of synthesizing glucose is not progressing as expected. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as a deficiency in certain enzymes or a disruption in the metabolic pathway. Finding the root cause of this issue is important for successfully completing glucose synthesis.

4. How can the issue of being stuck at 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate be resolved?

The solution to this issue depends on the specific cause. If the problem is related to a deficiency in enzymes, these enzymes can be supplemented or activated to promote the conversion of 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate into fructose-1,6-bisphosphate. If the issue is due to a disruption in the metabolic pathway, identifying and addressing the cause of the disruption can help resolve the problem.

5. What are the potential applications of synthesizing glucose from pyruvate?

The ability to synthesize glucose from pyruvate has a variety of potential applications. It can be used in biotechnology to produce glucose for industrial purposes, such as in the production of biofuels or bioplastics. It can also have medical applications, such as providing a source of glucose for patients with glucose metabolism disorders or for use in glucose-based therapies. Additionally, understanding the process of glucose synthesis can provide insights into metabolic pathways and aid in the development of new treatments for metabolic diseases.