The rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem

In summary: Thanks PhysicsGente, your expression is exactly what I keep getting. That is,[H, r \times p] = r\times [H, p].
Bobbo Snap

Homework Statement

Show [itex] \frac{d}{dt}\langle\bf{L}\rangle = \langle \bf{N} \rangle[/itex] where [itex]\bf{N} = \bf{r}\times(-\nabla V)[/itex]

2. Homework Equations .
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\langle A \rangle = \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle [H, A] \rangle [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to this point: [itex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\langle [H,L] \rangle = \frac{i}{\hbar}\langle [H, r \times p] \rangle [/itex] and then I'm stuck. I know the next step is supposed to use something like [itex][H, r \times p] = [H,r] \times p + r \times [H,p][/itex] but I don't see how to get this. I don't understand how operators distribute over the cross-product. Can anyone help or point me to some online resource where I can study how to work with operators/commutators/ etc.? I've been searching the internet all day with little to show for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Bobbo Snap,

[itex][H,L] = HL - LH = H(r\times p) - (r\times p)H = (Hr)\times p - (rH)\times p = [H,r]\times p [/itex]

Thanks PhysicsGente, your expression is exactly what I keep getting. That is,
[tex][H, r \times p] = [H, r]\times p.[/tex]

Maybe my mistake is trying to follow a solution I found which includes an extra term. It begins with the commutator reversed though, like this:
[tex][r \times p, H] = r \times [p, H] + [r, H] \times p[/tex]
I don't get how they come up with this.

I find it least confusing to just write it out in Cartesian components. For the x-component of the identity that you want to prove, use Lx = (r x p)x = (ypz - zpy). Then simplify [H, Lx]. The y- and z-components of the identity then follow by "cyclic permutation" of x,y,z. Not very elegant, but it gets the job done.

Bobbo Snap said:
Thanks PhysicsGente, your expression is exactly what I keep getting. That is,
[tex][H, r \times p] = [H, r]\times p.[/tex]

Maybe my mistake is trying to follow a solution I found which includes an extra term. It begins with the commutator reversed though, like this:
[tex][r \times p, H] = r \times [p, H] + [r, H] \times p[/tex]
I don't get how they come up with this.

You can also write it as [tex][H, r \times p] = r\times [H, p].[/tex] I don't see why you'd need the second term though. Just calculate the commutator [itex][H, p][/itex] and you should be done.

Related to The rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem

What is the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem?

The rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem is a mathematical principle that describes the behavior of rotational motion in quantum mechanics. It is derived from the original Ehrenfest's Theorem, which describes the behavior of linear motion in quantum mechanics.

How is the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem derived?

The rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem is derived by applying the principles of quantum mechanics to the rotational motion of a particle. This includes using the angular momentum operator and the Hamiltonian operator to describe the behavior of the particle.

What is the significance of the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem?

The rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem helps to bridge the gap between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, as it allows for the study of rotational motion in quantum systems. It also helps to accurately predict the behavior of rotating particles in quantum systems.

Can the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem be applied to all types of rotational motion?

Yes, the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem can be applied to any type of rotational motion, including both discrete and continuous rotational systems. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and can be used to study a wide range of phenomena.

Are there any limitations to the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem?

Like all mathematical principles, the rotational analog of Ehrenfest's Theorem has limitations. It is most accurate for systems with small angular momentum and can become less accurate for systems with large angular momentum. Additionally, it does not take into account relativistic effects, which may be important for systems with very high speeds.