The Right Hand Rule: it's not just for electrodynamics anymore.

In summary, the right hand rule is a versatile tool that can be used for tasks such as screwing in light bulbs or caps on milk jugs. It is also useful in bed and for taking electromagnetic exams if you are left-handed. In the southern hemisphere, the left-hand screw rule is more effective due to coriolis effects, while in the northern hemisphere, lefties can use Flemings rule. However, with the invention of neuroprosthetics, being left-handed is no longer a disadvantage. The right hand rule is based on the cross product and unit vectors, making it applicable for various torque applications.
WarpedWatch
Among its many other uses, it looks like you can use the right hand rule for screwing in a light bulb or screwing on the cap to a jug of milk!

Who said learning physics was of no practical use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also useful in bed - especially if you have company :D

So those of us who are left handed go unloved?

HallsofIvy said:

No way, we have it even better. I'm left handed, so if I'm taking an EM exam, I can do the right hand rule and write with my left hand at the same time! I never have to put down my pencil :cool:

Due to coriolis effects, the left-hand screw rule works better in the southern hemisphere ;)
In the northern hemisphere, lefties are advised to adopt Flemings rule instead ... the thumb still gives thrust of motion but they gain in the extent of the field and current.

HallsofIvy said:

Not anymore. These days they have adapters for that. A little exotic maybe, but these new neuroprosthetics are quite something to wield.

:)

Well it has to do with the cross product right? And the unit vectors. So that extends to all manners of torque applications.

Related to The Right Hand Rule: it's not just for electrodynamics anymore.

What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a mathematical concept used to determine the direction of a vector or force in a three-dimensional space. It involves using the fingers of your right hand to represent the three axes (x, y, and z) and the direction of the thumb to determine the direction of the vector or force.

How is the Right Hand Rule used in electrodynamics?

In electrodynamics, the Right Hand Rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. The thumb represents the direction of the current, the fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm represents the force exerted on a positive charge moving in that field.

What other fields besides electrodynamics use the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is also used in mechanics, specifically in determining the direction of torque on a rotating object. It is also used in fluid mechanics to determine the direction of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a moving charged particle.

Can the Right Hand Rule be used in everyday life?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used in everyday life to determine the direction of a force or motion in a three-dimensional space. For example, it can be used to determine the direction of a screwdriver when tightening a screw or the direction of a steering wheel when turning a car.

Are there any variations of the Right Hand Rule?

Yes, there are variations of the Right Hand Rule depending on the specific application. For example, in fluid mechanics, the Left Hand Rule is used for negatively charged particles. There are also different versions of the rule for determining the direction of torque in different scenarios.