The relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a ruler, weights, and oscillations. The speaker has plotted a graph with mass and time as variables, and has found that the graph becomes linear when the values are squared. They then attempt to find a mathematical relationship, using the formulas for angular velocity, force, displacement, and acceleration. They conclude that mass is proportional to the square of the time period. However, they also note some potential errors in their reasoning.
WaterMelllon1
In an experiment, a ruler is connected to the table and some weights are bounded to one end of the ruler. The ruler is then flicked and the time taken per oscillation is measured.

I have plotted a graph with the data I have collected, with the mass on the y-axis and time on x-axis. The graph produced appears to be a curve. I have tried altering the values on the x-axis; I have squared it, 1 over the square of it, square rooted it, and I found that the graph becomes linear when the values are squared. So the mass should be proportional to 1 over the square of the time taken.

I have tried finding out a mathematical relationship for this, but I am not sure if this is correct or not.

Well, if we make w=angular velocity, then w=θ/t, with θ being angular displacement and t being the time period. Since θ belongs in a circle, then it is safe to say that w=2π/t (?)

Also, if the force of an oscillation is proportional to -displacement (x), then it is true to say that F=-kx, with k being a constant.

Since F also = ma, then ma=-kx.

According the the simple harmonic wave equation for acceleration is a=-xw2sinwt. Since the formula for displacement(x) = x sinwt and a=-w2(x sinwt), then a=-xw2

So ma=-kx will become m(-xw2)=-kx, then using some algebra, m=k/w2. Since w=2π/t, then m=kT2/4π2.

Since k/4π2 is a constant, I can ignore that and say m is proportional to t2.

Is my reasoning true? I feel like I am wrong in quite a few spots.

Thanks for helping

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is essentially correct, but you take a few confusing steps because of a poor choice of notation. For instance, you use x to represent displacement as well as the amplitude (or maximum displacement). You should use different symbols for these - it will help keep things clear for you as well.

You write: x = x sin(wt), which looks nonsensical.

Better would be something like: x = A sin (wt), or x = x0 sin (wt).

Also, next time, a question like this is better suited for the Intro Physics section.

Thank you.

Yes thank you very much! It is so helpful!

me out!
Your reasoning is mostly correct. The relationship between mass and time taken per oscillation can be described by the equation m = kT^2/4π^2, where m is the mass, T is the time taken per oscillation, and k is a constant. This is known as the period-mass relationship and it is derived from the equation of simple harmonic motion, F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

In your experiment, you have found that the graph of mass vs. time taken per oscillation is a curve, and when the time values are squared, the graph becomes linear. This is because the period-mass relationship is a quadratic equation, so when you square the time values, you are essentially plotting the equation in a linear form.

Your reasoning for using the equation a = -xw^2 is also correct. This is the equation for acceleration in simple harmonic motion, where w is the angular velocity. However, you have made a small mistake in your algebra. It should be ma = -kx, not ma = -xw^2. This is because the force of an oscillation is proportional to the displacement, not the acceleration.

Overall, your reasoning is correct and you have a good understanding of the relationship between mass and time taken per oscillation in simple harmonic motion. Keep up the good work!

Related to The relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass

1. What is the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass?

The relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass is an inverse relationship. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the time taken for one complete oscillation decreases. Similarly, as the mass decreases, the time taken for one oscillation increases.

2. How is the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass represented mathematically?

The relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass can be represented by the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time taken per oscillation, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation is known as the oscillation period equation.

3. Does the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass apply to all types of oscillating systems?

Yes, the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass applies to all types of oscillating systems, including simple pendulums, springs, and even sound waves. This is because the oscillation period equation is based on the fundamental principles of oscillatory motion.

4. How does the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass affect the frequency of an oscillating system?

The frequency of an oscillating system is inversely proportional to the time taken per oscillation. This means that as the mass increases and the time taken per oscillation decreases, the frequency of the oscillating system increases. Similarly, as the mass decreases and the time taken per oscillation increases, the frequency of the oscillating system decreases.

5. Can the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass be observed in real-world situations?

Yes, the relationship between time taken per oscillation and mass can be observed in various real-world situations. For example, a heavier pendulum will take less time to complete one full swing compared to a lighter pendulum. This relationship is also important in designing and understanding the behavior of various mechanical and electrical systems.