The relationship between Kinetic Energy and Position

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the relationship between position of a cart on a ramp and its kinetic energy. The experiment involved releasing a cart on a ramp and using the end point as the reference point. The group is trying to prove the conservation of energy and is considering how the position of the cart affects its kinetic energy. There is a discussion about the definition of "position of the cart" and its relation to potential energy and speed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to plot a graph of kinetic energy vs. distance to find the desired relationship.
BizzPhizz
Task
So I am writting a lab, and one of the testable questions required me to come up with a relationship between position and kinetic energy.

In the lab a cart is released on a ramp and the end point of the cart is used as the reference point (h=0). We formed a position time graph and we are proving that energy is conserved (as long as gravity is the only force acting on the cart).

I need to find the relationship between position of the cart on the ramp and the kinetic energy is possesses.

I was thinking that it varies inversely, but I need to know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please specify a little more clearly how you are defining "position of the cart"? Is it the vertical height of the cart, the distance along the ramp from the bottom of the ramp, the distance along the ramp from the release point, or something else?

Taking h for height - from your observations, does the cart slow down or speed up as it loses height? How is kinetic energy related to speed? What about potential energy?

TSny said:
Can you please specify a little more clearly how you are defining "position of the cart"? Is it the vertical height of the cart, the distance along the ramp from the bottom of the ramp, the distance along the ramp from the release point, or something else?

Im referring to position as the distance it is from the final position (h=0 at final position).

Here is my observation chart, maybe it can help.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4217/chart8c.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't make that image out - it is very small.
Please read post #2 ... is the final position lower or higher than the initial position?
Does your data show that the cart is gaining or losing kinetic energy as it approaches the final position?

You have said what you measured h with respect to but not what h is a measure of ... there are lots of ways to measure the position of something. i.e. is it the horizontal distance to the cart? The vertical distance to the cart? The straight line distance to the cart? The distance along the track? Something else?

However, you should be able to work out the answer you want by considering the comments above and in post #3. You could also plot a graph of kinetic energy vs distance from your data.

Related to The relationship between Kinetic Energy and Position

What is Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

What is Position?

Position is the location of an object in space. It can be described using coordinates or by its distance and direction from a reference point.

How are Kinetic Energy and Position related?

Kinetic Energy and Position are related through the concept of work, which is the transfer of energy. When a force acts on an object, causing it to move a certain distance, work is done and the object gains kinetic energy. The position of the object also plays a role in determining its potential energy, which can be converted to kinetic energy when the object moves.

How does Kinetic Energy change with Position?

The amount of Kinetic Energy an object possesses is directly proportional to its position. As an object moves further away from its starting position, its Kinetic Energy increases. This relationship is described by the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. As v increases, so does the object's Kinetic Energy.

Can Kinetic Energy and Position be used to predict an object's future movement?

Yes, Kinetic Energy and Position can be used to predict an object's future movement through the laws of motion. By knowing an object's current position and velocity, we can calculate its Kinetic Energy. From there, we can use the equations of motion to predict its future position and velocity. However, other factors such as external forces and friction may also affect the object's movement.