The Relation between the integral and differential form of Amperes Law

In summary, the conversation discusses Ampere's law and its different forms. The integral form in vacuum is represented by ∫B\cdotdl=μ_{0}I. To obtain the differential form, the relation between I and J is used, with the displacement current being ignored. The displacement current density J_{d} is then defined in terms of the displacement field D, and it modifies the differential form of Ampere's law. The speaker suggests using special paths for integration, such as squares or circles, and then letting their size approach zero to obtain rot(B). The other person expresses confusion and asks for clarification or for the speaker to show their previous attempts.
Zook104
The integral form of Ampere's law in vacuum is

B[itex]\cdot[/itex]dl=μ[itex]_{0}[/itex]I

(a) Using the relation between I and J, obtain the differential form of Ampere's
law. You may ignore any displacement current.

(b)Define the displacement current density J[itex]_{d}[/itex] in terms of the displacement
field D and show how it modifies the differential form of Ampere's law.

My attempts at this have circular and achieved no useful answers. So all and any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You can consider special paths for the integration - like squares or circles - and then let their size go to zero. The interesting part is how you get rot(B) out of that limit.

I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean?

Can you be more specific where the problem is?
Alternatively, can you show your previous attempts?

(a) The differential form of Ampere's law can be obtained by using the relation between I and J, which states that the current density J is equal to the current I divided by the cross-sectional area A through which the current is flowing. This can be written as J=I/A. Substituting this into the integral form of Ampere's law, we get:

∫B\cdotdl=μ_{0}(I/A)A

Simplifying, we get:

∫B\cdotdl=μ_{0}I

This is the differential form of Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field B is equal to the permeability of free space μ_{0} multiplied by the current density J.

(b) The displacement current density J_{d} is a term that accounts for the changing electric field in a region, and is defined as J_{d} = ε_{0} dD/dt, where ε_{0} is the permittivity of free space and dD/dt represents the rate of change of the displacement field D.

In the presence of a time-varying electric field, the displacement current density modifies the differential form of Ampere's law by adding an additional term:

∫B\cdotdl=μ_{0}(J+J_{d})

This modified form takes into account the contribution of the changing electric field to the magnetic field, and is necessary for accurately describing electromagnetic phenomena. It is known as the modified Ampere's law.

Related to The Relation between the integral and differential form of Amperes Law

1. What is Amperes Law?

Amperes Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between an electric current and the magnetic field it produces.

2. What is the integral form of Amperes Law?

The integral form of Amperes Law states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed path is equal to the current passing through the surface enclosed by that path multiplied by the permeability of free space.

3. What is the differential form of Amperes Law?

The differential form of Amperes Law is a mathematical expression that relates the curl of the magnetic field to the current density in a given region. It is written as ∇ x B = μ0J, where μ0 is the permeability of free space and J is the current density.

4. How are the integral and differential forms of Amperes Law related?

The integral and differential forms of Amperes Law are two different ways of expressing the same fundamental relationship between electric current and magnetic fields. The integral form is used for calculating the total magnetic field around a closed path, while the differential form is used for calculating the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

5. What are the applications of Amperes Law?

Amperes Law has many practical applications in areas such as electrical engineering, physics, and technology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnets, motors, and other devices that use electric currents and magnetic fields. It is also an important tool in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the propagation of radio signals.