The Reflection Property of a Hyperbola

In summary, the conversation discusses the reflective property of a hyperbola and the need for a proof that uses the geometric definition of a hyperbola. It is mentioned that classical geometry of conic sections is not commonly taught and the book "Geometry of Conics" by Akopyan is recommended for more information. The proof of the reflective property is briefly outlined using a contradiction approach.
Evgeny.Makarov
Gold Member
MHB
Hello,

Does anyone have a reference to a proof of the reflective property of a hyperbola? I need a proof that uses the geometric definition of a hyperbola as the locus of points $X$ such that $|XF_1-XF_2|=2a$ for some fixed points $F_1$ and $F_2$ and a positive constant $a$. The proof may also use elementary geometry but, preferably, no heavy algebra. The reflective property of a hyperbola says that a ray issued from one of the foci and reflected from the hyperbola is seen as issued from the other focus. I have a corresponding proof for an ellipse, but I looked through two of my textbooks and the first page of Google results and did not find a suitable proof for a hyperbola.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Classical geometry of conic section is a dead subject sadly. When I taught the conic sections before I researched classical geometric proofs of the reflection properties of all three conics and how the locus definition follows from planar intersections of a double-cone. None of which uses coordinates of algebra (which is what makes it classical geometry). It is a very beautiful subject nobody knows anything about, it died back in Greece. The book I used was "Geometry of Conics" by Akopyan to research a little bit of what I was interested in.
----------------------

We want to prove that $\angle F_1 P F_2$ is bisected by the hyperbola. Bisected by the hyperbola means that the tangent line bisects the angle (tangent line not drawn in picture). So we do it by contradiction. We assume that the hyperbola does not bisect the angle i.e. the tangent line does not bisect it. Therefore, the bisection of $\angle F_1 P F_2$ is a secant line to the hyperbola. It will intersect the hyperbola at some other point $Q$, we assume that $Q$ is on the same branch of the hyperbola. We will then need to redo the proof assuming $Q$ is on the other branch of the hyperbola, which we will not do as it will be very similar.

So here is the set up, $\angle F_1 P F_2$, the green angle is bisected by the brown line at another point $Q$ as we are assuming, for the sake of contradiction, the tangent line at $P$ does not bisect angle. Clearly, $F_1$ and $F_2$ are foci of hyperbola.

1) Construct $F$ on segment $F_1P$ so that $PF = PF_2$.
2) By SAS it follows $FQ = F_2Q$.
3) By hyperbola property, $F_1P - PF_2 = F_1Q - F_2Q$.
4) Write $PF_1 = PF + FF_1$.
5) By (2) in (3) we have $F_1P - PF_2 = F_1Q - FQ$
6) Substitute (1) and (4) into (5), $PF + FF_1 - PF = F_1Q - FQ \implies FF_1 = F_1Q-FQ$
7) By $\triangle FF_1Q$ by triangle inequality satisfies $FF_1 > F_1Q - FQ$. Contradiction!

Attachments

• geometry.jpg
    geometry.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks a lot.

Related to The Reflection Property of a Hyperbola

1. What is the reflection property of a hyperbola?

The reflection property of a hyperbola states that any ray of light or sound that is directed towards a point on the curve of a hyperbola will be reflected off that point and pass through the other focus of the hyperbola.

2. How is the reflection property of a hyperbola different from that of a parabola or ellipse?

The reflection property of a parabola only applies to light or sound rays that are parallel to the axis of symmetry, while the reflection property of a hyperbola applies to all rays directed towards any point on the curve. The reflection property of an ellipse, on the other hand, does not exist.

3. What is the significance of the reflection property of a hyperbola?

The reflection property of a hyperbola has many applications in real-life situations, such as in satellite and telescope designs, as well as in optics and acoustics. It allows for the focusing of light and sound waves, making it a useful tool in various industries.

4. How can the reflection property of a hyperbola be proven mathematically?

The reflection property of a hyperbola can be proven using the properties of conic sections and the distance formula. By showing that the distance between a point on the curve and one focus is equal to the distance between that point and the other focus, it can be demonstrated that the ray of light or sound will be reflected off that point.

5. Can the reflection property of a hyperbola be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the reflection property of a hyperbola can be applied to solve various real-life problems, such as determining the optimal placement of satellite dishes or designing acoustic mirrors for sound amplification. It is also used in the construction of parabolic microphones and reflectors used in telescopes and headlights.