The Red Light Shift and Space Debris

In summary, the theory of the expanding universe is partially based on redshift, which is a frequency shift of light. Atoms and dust in space cannot cause the red light to travel faster and current evidence suggests that there is minimal dispersion in intergalactic space. Redshift conserves spectral lines, making it a unique characteristic, and absorption and scattering by dust can erase spectral lines while absorption by single atoms and simple molecules will not change the original lines, only add to them.
wlc88
Hi,

As I understand it the theory that the universe is expanding is in part based off the red light shift. My question is could atoms in space, dust etc cause the red light to travel faster. I realize that space isn’t a medium, but could the aforementioned atoms and dust exist in such measurement per cubic meter to cause this?

Many thanks

Likes TEFLing
Space news on Phys.org
wlc88 said:
Hi,

As I understand it the theory that the universe is expanding is in part based off the red light shift. My question is could atoms in space, dust etc cause the red light to travel faster. I realize that space isn’t a medium, but could the aforementioned atoms and dust exist in such measurement per cubic meter to cause this?

Many thanks
That wouldn't create redshift. It would create dispersion. It can be tested by, for instance, observing far-away objects which have time-dependent properties. Far-away quasars are really good examples, because they tend to vary quite a bit in brightness. If different wavelengths of light traveled at different speeds, then you'd see the brightness changes happening at different times for different colors.

Measurements so far indicate that there is no significant dispersion yet detected.

Likes TEFLing and PeroK
wlc88 said:
Hi,

Many thanks
Sorry, but that doesn't even make sense. Light does not travel faster or slower, it travels at c. Period. Red shift is a FREQUENCY shift, not a speed shift.

phinds said:
Sorry, but that doesn't even make sense. Light does not travel faster or slower, it travels at c. Period. Red shift is a FREQUENCY shift, not a speed shift.
That's not strictly true, as light does travel at a slower speed when it travels through a medium. And it's also true that intergalactic space isn't strictly a vacuum. There's not much matter there, but there is some. So dispersion isn't completely absurd. But it definitely has nothing to do with redshift.

Current evidence is that the amount of dispersion is so small that it is basically unmeasurable. Incidentally, there are some proposed theories which predict some dispersion for extremely high-energy photons. But so far there hasn't been any evidence of that either.

Likes TEFLing
kimbyd said:
... light does travel at a slower speed when it travels through a medium.

Current evidence is that the amount of dispersion is so small that it is basically unmeasurable
I was treating space as a vacuum and I think you just made my point.

wlc88 said:
Hi,

Many thanks

No. One of the unique properties of redshit is that it conserves spectral lines. That is, the pattern of emission and absorption lines created when light is emitted by or passes through a gas are scaled by the same factor as the redshift, but they still exist. Absorption and scattering by dust erases spectral lines, while absorption by single atoms and simple molecules merely adds more spectral lines, it does not scale the original lines.

Likes davenn, TEFLing and phinds

1. What is the red light shift?

The red light shift is a phenomenon observed in the light emitted by distant objects in space. It is caused by the expansion of the universe, which stretches the wavelengths of light, making them appear more red. This shift is a key piece of evidence for the theory of the Big Bang.

2. How does the red light shift relate to space debris?

The red light shift is not directly related to space debris. However, the presence of space debris can affect the accuracy of measurements of the red light shift. This is because debris can cause interference or block the light from distant objects, making it difficult to accurately measure the shift.

3. Is the red light shift the same for all objects in space?

No, the red light shift can vary depending on the distance of the object and the rate of expansion of the universe. Objects that are further away will have a larger red light shift compared to those that are closer. Additionally, the red light shift can also be affected by the gravitational pull of nearby objects.

4. How do scientists measure the red light shift?

Scientists measure the red light shift using a device called a spectroscope. This instrument splits light into its component wavelengths, allowing scientists to measure the exact wavelengths of light emitted by distant objects. By comparing these measurements to the known wavelengths of light emitted by elements here on Earth, scientists can calculate the red light shift.

5. Can the red light shift be used to study space debris?

While the red light shift itself does not provide information about space debris, scientists can use it to indirectly study the presence of debris. By analyzing the light from distant objects, scientists can identify any disruptions or distortions that may be caused by debris in the line of sight. This can help in tracking and monitoring space debris and its potential effects on objects in space.