The reaction of Benzene Diazonium chloride

In summary, the reaction of Benzene Diazonium chloride is a versatile chemical reaction used in organic synthesis to introduce functional groups onto aromatic compounds. It requires an acid catalyst and a cold temperature, and has a variety of uses in the production of dyes, pigments, and pharmaceuticals. However, it can be hazardous to work with due to its reactivity and toxicity, and there are alternatives available for achieving similar reactions in organic synthesis.
SpectraPhy09
Homework Statement
Coupling of the benzene diazonium chloride with the 1-Naphthol in the alkaline medium will give: (For options plz check the image I have attached )
Relevant Equations
I don't know any
I think that since the -Oh group is attached it would be activating the ring so either ortho product will be formed or the para product. So I'm confused between option b & c (Given and in my textbook is C).
Plz can someone help me with this

Amines_Tatva-ex-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
?The -OH group is an electron-withdrawing group, meaning it will deactivate the ring for electrophilic aromatic substitution. This means that the meta product will be the major product formed. Therefore, the correct answer is option B, meta-dichlorobenzene. Option C, ortho-dichlorobenzene, is an incorrect answer.

Related to The reaction of Benzene Diazonium chloride

1. What is Benzene Diazonium chloride?

Benzene Diazonium chloride is a compound formed by the reaction of benzene and sodium nitrite in the presence of hydrochloric acid. It is a white crystalline solid and is commonly used in organic synthesis reactions.

2. What is the reaction mechanism of Benzene Diazonium chloride?

The reaction of Benzene Diazonium chloride involves the replacement of the diazonium group with a new functional group, such as a halide or an amine. This process is called diazonium coupling and is an important step in the synthesis of various organic compounds.

3. What are the uses of Benzene Diazonium chloride?

Benzene Diazonium chloride is mainly used as an intermediate in the production of dyes and pigments. It is also used in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and other organic compounds. Additionally, it can be used as a reagent in organic synthesis reactions.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with Benzene Diazonium chloride?

Benzene Diazonium chloride is a hazardous compound and should be handled with caution. It is toxic and can cause skin and eye irritation, as well as respiratory problems if inhaled. Proper protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, should be worn when working with this compound.

5. How can the reaction of Benzene Diazonium chloride be controlled?

The reaction of Benzene Diazonium chloride can be controlled by adjusting the reaction conditions, such as temperature, pH, and concentration of reactants. It is also important to carefully monitor the progress of the reaction and make necessary adjustments to ensure the desired product is obtained.