The rays of my ray diagram are not lining up

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing a ray diagram with given object distance, height, and focal length. The equations used for calculating the image are also mentioned. The attempt at a solution involves following three rules, but the resulting rays do not line up on the object due to the effects of spherical aberration. The solution to this issue is using a parabolic mirror instead of a spherical one.
jeremy5561

Homework Statement

I am given the object distance and height, and the focal length of the mirror and I must draw the ray diagram.
Although this was drawn by a computer program that I programmed, I thought it would be more relevant in this forum, because I believe that the rays are correctly drawn and the program is not at question.

Homework Equations

The image you see on the screen (blue arrow) is calculated using the math equations:
1/f=1/do+1/di
hi/ho=-di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

The ray diagram was drawn following the three rules
  1. A ray perpendicular to the principal axis will reflect thorough the focal point.
  2. A ray that passes through the focal point will reflect perpendicular to the principal axis.
  3. A ray that passes through the centre of curvature will reflect back thorough the centre of curvature.
This ray diagram seems to follow all three rules perfectly, yet the rays do not line up on the object. What did I do wrong?

http://coldwartimeline.tk/raydiagram.bmp

Physics news on Phys.org
You have just discovered the effects of spherical aberration (look it up!).

This is why high quality Newtonian reflecting telescopes, for example, will utilize a parabolic mirror rather than a spherical one.

Ahh... thank you.

Related to The rays of my ray diagram are not lining up

1. Why are the rays of my ray diagram not lining up?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that you may have made a mistake in drawing the rays or measuring their angles. Another possibility is that the object you are trying to diagram is not at the correct distance from the lens or mirror. It is also possible that there is an issue with the lens or mirror itself, such as imperfections or incorrect curvature.

2. How can I fix my ray diagram if the rays are not lining up?

If you suspect that you made a mistake in drawing the rays or measuring their angles, you can try recreating the diagram or double-checking your measurements. If the issue is with the distance of the object, try adjusting it and see if the rays line up. If the problem lies with the lens or mirror, you may need to use a different one or consult with a professional to determine the issue.

3. Can atmospheric conditions affect the alignment of rays in a ray diagram?

Yes, atmospheric conditions such as temperature and humidity can affect the accuracy of your ray diagram. This is because light travels at different speeds through different mediums, and changes in temperature and humidity can alter the density of the air. To minimize the impact of atmospheric conditions, try to conduct your experiment in a controlled environment.

4. Is it possible for the rays in a ray diagram to never line up?

No, it is not possible for the rays in a ray diagram to never line up. However, the degree to which they line up may vary depending on the accuracy of your measurements and the conditions in which the experiment is conducted. If you are consistently having trouble getting the rays to align, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or colleague.

5. What are the consequences of having inaccurately aligned rays in a ray diagram?

If the rays in a ray diagram are not accurately aligned, it can lead to incorrect conclusions about the behavior of light and the properties of lenses and mirrors. This can be problematic for understanding and applying concepts in optics and can result in errors in practical applications. It is important to take the time to ensure the accuracy of your ray diagrams to avoid these consequences.