The Ratio intensities of two sounds

In summary, the decibel scale is logarithmic and relative, with 0 dB being the reference point. To find the ratio of intensities of two sounds with a difference of 12 dB, you can take the inverse log of 12 and multiply it by the intensity of the reference sound, which is 1.0 x 10^-12. This will give you the intensity of the higher sound. Then, to find the ratio, divide this intensity by the intensity of the original sound.
aama100

Homework Statement

I need to find the ration of the intensities of two sounds if one is 12 dB higher than the other ?

Homework Equations

I am not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the inverse log of 12 and multiple the answer with ( 1 * 10^-12) to find I = 1.584 * 10^-11

I know that the ration = (the higher values/the smaller value)

but I am not sure about what I am doing

Physics news on Phys.org
The decibel scale is a logarithmic one, and a relative one (that is, unlike temperature or length, you define any intensity to be 0 dB and then measure everything relative to that specific intensity). If you understand this question, you have understood the concept of it.

So let's start easier: do you know what the increase in level is (measured in dB) if the intensity doubles?

You pretty much had the answer already. You found the intensity of a sound that corresponds to a 12dB sound level, which was 1.58 x 10^-11. Now as you said, the ratio of the intensities would be the intensity you found over the intensity of the original sound, in this case the 0dB sound, or one with an intensity of 1.0 x 10^-12. So now just calculate this ratio.

Related to The Ratio intensities of two sounds

1. What is the ratio intensities of two sounds?

The ratio intensities of two sounds refers to the comparison of the energy or power of one sound wave to another. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and can be used to determine the loudness or perceived volume of a sound.

2. How is the ratio intensities of two sounds calculated?

The ratio intensities of two sounds is calculated by taking the logarithm of the ratio of the two sound intensities. This formula can be written as: dB = 10 * log10 (I1/I2), where I1 and I2 are the sound intensities of the two sounds being compared.

3. What is a decibel (dB) and how is it related to the ratio intensities of two sounds?

A decibel (dB) is a unit used to measure the intensity or loudness of a sound. It is a logarithmic unit, meaning that a small change in dB represents a large change in actual sound intensity. In terms of the ratio intensities of two sounds, the dB value indicates the difference in sound intensity between the two sounds being compared.

4. How does the ratio intensities of two sounds affect our perception of sound?

The ratio intensities of two sounds can greatly impact our perception of sound as it directly correlates to the perceived loudness or volume of a sound. For example, a sound with a higher intensity ratio will be perceived as louder than a sound with a lower intensity ratio, even if the actual sound intensity is the same.

5. What factors can affect the ratio intensities of two sounds?

There are several factors that can affect the ratio intensities of two sounds, including distance from the sound source, frequency of the sound, and the environment in which the sound is heard. Additionally, individual differences in hearing ability and sensitivity can also impact the perception of sound intensity ratios.