The ratio between gravitational force of planet x and y

In summary, Planet X has a radius double that of Planet Y and a mass double that of Planet Y. Using the equation g = GM/R, it can be determined that the surface gravitational fields of the two planets are equal. However, in the equation g = γM/r^2, R should be squared for it to make sense.
gomess

Homework Statement

Planet X has a radius double of Planet Y. Planet X also has a mass that is double planet Y. How do the surface gravitational fields of X and Y compare?

Homework Equations

g=GM/R

The Attempt at a Solution

So because were looking for the ratio of gx to gy, we can use the equation gx = n(gy) and say that n = gx/gy. So since Planet X has a radius double of Planet Y, we can say that Rx = 2Ry. Also we can say that Mx = 2My. So this turns out to be (2MyG/2Ry) / (MyG/Ry) = n. So this becomes 2MyGRy/2RyMyG = n. Cancelling out Ry, My, and G leaving 2/2 = n. This would say that gx = gy ? Does this make sense to say that at different masses and radii the planets have equal gravitational force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't R be squared?

No, that would be the force of gravity between two objects, g = GMm/r^2. This is just the force of gravity the object exerts, or gravitational field i guess

G= γMm/r^2, on the other hand G=mg
so mg= γMm/r^2
g=γM/r^2

oh i see, you were right, the R is squared. LOL thank you very much, i appreciate it

Related to The ratio between gravitational force of planet x and y

1. What is the formula for calculating the ratio between the gravitational force of two planets?

The formula for calculating the ratio between the gravitational force of two planets, x and y, is Fx/Fy = (MxMy)/(rx-ry)^2, where Fx and Fy are the gravitational forces, Mx and My are the masses of the planets, and rx and ry are the distances between the planets and the objects experiencing the gravitational force.

2. How does the distance between two planets affect their gravitational force ratio?

The distance between two planets has a direct impact on their gravitational force ratio. The farther apart the planets are, the weaker the gravitational force between them. This means that as the distance between the two planets increases, the ratio between their gravitational forces decreases.

3. How does the mass of two planets affect their gravitational force ratio?

The mass of two planets also has a direct impact on their gravitational force ratio. The larger the mass of a planet, the stronger its gravitational force will be. This means that as the mass of one planet increases, the ratio between its gravitational force and the other planet's force will also increase.

4. Can the gravitational force ratio between two planets change?

Yes, the gravitational force ratio between two planets can change. This can happen if the distance between the planets changes, or if the mass of either planet changes. As mentioned earlier, these factors directly affect the gravitational force between two planets, and therefore, can impact their ratio.

5. How is the gravitational force ratio between two planets used in scientific research?

The gravitational force ratio between two planets is used in scientific research to study the gravitational interactions between celestial bodies. It is an important factor in understanding the orbits of planets, moons, and other objects in the solar system. It is also useful in studying the effects of gravitational pull on space missions and spacecraft trajectories.