The Range of a Function in Set Y

In summary, the function f(x) does not always include the y-value y=1. Additionally, x=(-1) is not in the domain of x.
kripkrip420

Homework Statement

N/A

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I will start here. My question does not necessarily involve equations. In the Calculus book I am currently studying from, I am reviewing some pre-calculus and I came across a section that mentioned the range of the function does not have to be the entire Set Y. Now, what I was wondering was what exactly this means. Here are my thoughts.

Let's say you have a function f(x)=(x)/(x+1)

This function has a vertical asymptote at x=(-1)

This function also approaches a y-value y=1.

I am assuming that when the Calculus book said that the range doesn't always include every element in a Set Y, this is something like what they were referring to. Even thought the function doesn't ever get to y=1, that doesn't mean that y=1 is not included in the Set Y, correct? y=1 is still present in the Set Y even though the functions range does not include it. Am I correct in saying this? Also, x=(-1) is NOT in the domain of x correct? This is because the domain is defined as the Set D of all POSSIBLE input values. The Set Y is all the real numbers that extend through the real line y, whereas, the range is simply the output values of the function that may or may not include all the elements of the Set Y. Am I correct in what I have said so far?

Thank you very much in advance to everyone who has taken their time to answer my simple question!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is entirely correct!

Wow. Thank you for the lightning fast response! Also, I forgot to mention... Merry Christmas to you if you celebrate it and Merry Christmas to everyone else that celebrates it as well! Happy New Year!

Related to The Range of a Function in Set Y

1. What is the range of a function in Set Y?

The range of a function in Set Y refers to the set of all possible output values of the function. It is the collection of all elements that the function can produce when given a set of input values.

2. How is the range of a function in Set Y different from its domain?

The domain of a function in Set Y is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of independent variables, and the range is the set of dependent variables.

3. Can the range of a function in Set Y be empty?

Yes, the range of a function in Set Y can be empty. This means that there are no output values for any of the input values given to the function. It is possible for a function to have an empty range if its domain is restricted or if it is an inverse function.

4. How can I determine the range of a function in Set Y?

To determine the range of a function in Set Y, you can either list out all possible output values or use the graph of the function to identify the highest and lowest points. You can also use algebraic methods, such as finding the maximum and minimum values of the function, to determine the range.

5. Why is the range of a function in Set Y important?

The range of a function in Set Y is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and its output values. It can also help determine the suitability of a function for a specific application. Additionally, the range can be used to identify the possible outputs of a function and to check the accuracy of a function's results.