The question is: What are the limits for theta and is the working correct?

In summary: You get the right answer that way. Anyway, treating it like a pendulum is way easier. You get the right answer that way.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the system at time t (see attachment, I am representing the blocks as point masses)
The component of acceleration along the string is ##a_0\cos \theta##. This is the acceleration of the other two blocks at the sides. The component of acceleration along the horizontal direction is ##a_0 \sin \theta \cos \theta##.
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}=a_0 \sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]
As ##x=l\sin \theta##, ##dx=l\cos \theta d\theta##
[tex]vdv=a_0 \sin \theta \cos^2 \theta d\theta[/tex]
The problem is, what should be the limits for ##\theta##? And is my working even correct?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• blocks1.jpg
    blocks1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 358
  • blocks2.png
    blocks2.png
    14 KB · Views: 394
  • blocks3.png
    blocks3.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
I would consider this in the frame of block B. You get a very common physical setup, which can be solved without differential equations.

The limits for θ are given by the initial layout and the final one (collision).

mfb said:
I would consider this in the frame of block B. You get a very common physical setup, which can be solved without differential equations.

So there will be pseudo force acting on the other two blocks? But then how would I calculate the acceleration in the horizontal direction?

mfb said:
The limits for θ are given by the initial layout and the final one (collision).
Are the limits 0 to pi/2?

Pranav-Arora said:
So there will be pseudo force acting on the other two blocks? But then how would I calculate the acceleration in the horizontal direction?
Once you see the analogy, it is easy ;). You can even treat it as real force...

Are the limits 0 to pi/2?
Sure.

mfb said:
Once you see the analogy, it is easy ;). You can even treat it as real force...

Sorry, I am still lost on this one. :frown:

mfb said:
Sure.

But that doesn't give me the right answer. I had the following expression:
[tex]\int_{0}^v vdv=\int_{0}^{\pi/2} a_0 \ell \sin \theta \cos^2 \theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v^2}{2}=\frac{a_0 \ell}{3}[/tex]
This is incorrect as per the answer key. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry, I am still lost on this one. :frown:
Both blocks will feel a fictious force of m*a0 "downwards" acting on them.
Just consider that as real force, and you get a
pendulum in a gravitational field.

mfb said:
Both blocks will feel a fictious force of m*a0 "downwards" acting on them.
Just consider that as real force, and you get a
pendulum in a gravitational field.

How is that a pendulum in a "gravitational field" when the motion takes horizontally? :confused:

And why does my DE gives the wrong answer? :(

The motion is the same as if the setup would be in a gravitational field (with gravity acting "sidewards"). It is not in a relevant real gravitational field, of course.

And why does my DE gives the wrong answer? :(
I don't know. What is v (in which frame)? Why did you introduce x?

The question asks to find the relative velocity of A and C, while you just calculated the velocity of A (or C). That factor of 3 should not appear, however.

mfb said:
The motion is the same as if the setup would be in a gravitational field (with gravity acting "sidewards"). It is not in a relevant real gravitational field, of course.

Ah yes, I get your point. It turns out to be same as if the motion takes place in gravity.
[tex]ma_0\ell=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 \Rightarrow v=\sqrt{2a_0 \ell}[/tex]
Hence the relative velocity before striking is ##2\sqrt{2a_0 \ell}##

Thank you mfb! :smile:

mfb said:
I don't know. What is v (in which frame)?
v is in inertial frame.

mfb said:
Why did you introduce x?
Acceleration is vdv/dx so I had to introduce x and express it in terms of ##\theta##.

Pranav-Arora said:
v is in inertial frame.
That is complicated. In particular, you don't get the relative velocity with that, and "v" as integration limit does not make sense (it is a vector).

Anyway, treating it like a pendulum is way easier.

Related to The question is: What are the limits for theta and is the working correct?

1) What is relative velocity and how does it apply to blocks?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another object. In the case of blocks, it refers to the velocity of one block in relation to another block. This can be calculated by subtracting the velocity of one block from the velocity of the other block.

2) What factors affect the relative velocity of blocks?

The relative velocity of blocks can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocities of each block, the direction and magnitude of their velocities, and any external forces acting on the blocks.

3) How do you calculate the relative velocity of blocks in different reference frames?

To calculate the relative velocity of blocks in different reference frames, you need to first determine the velocities of the blocks in each reference frame. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the relative velocity between the two blocks in the desired reference frame.

4) Can the relative velocity of two blocks ever be zero?

Yes, the relative velocity of two blocks can be zero if they are moving with the same speed and in the same direction. This means that the two blocks are moving together and their relative velocity is equal to their individual velocities.

5) How does the concept of relative velocity apply to real-life situations?

Relative velocity is an important concept in understanding motion and collisions in the real world. For example, it is used in traffic engineering to determine the relative speeds of vehicles on a road and in aerospace engineering to calculate the relative velocities of spacecrafts in orbit.