The Quantum Theory Behind Lasers and Masers

In summary,-Spontaneous emission and stimulated emission are two different types of emission that can be explained using the classical or semiclassical description of quantum mechanics.-Fermi's golden rule states that the transition rates between the ground state and the excited state are the same in both directions.-Population inversion is needed to make two level lasers, and optical pumping is the energy source for some semiconductor lasers.
scupydog
Hi does anyone know where i can find an online version of the quantum mechanical theory behind lasers and masers. regards Dave.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can start at Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

You'll find a lot of links in the various sections which may help...
There are lots of types...gas,solid state,chemical...this is a big field...

If that isn't enough, Google LASERS...

Thx for that Naty but I've have done that, what i need is a quantum way in which lasers work and that i cannot seem to find.

ps Thx i found what i needed on wiki it was the free electron laser http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_electron_laser page that made it clear for thanks again.

Last edited:
Ehm, please note, that the FEL is a concept, which is a bit different from an usual laser.

For most common lasers, there is not so much qm behind it. Other strange concepts like VCSELs and polariton lasers need a lot more qm.

As a start, how familiar are you with spontaneous and stimulated emission and the concept of population inversion?

Hi Cthugha, i understand spontaneous and stimulated emission as in, photon in photon out, energy level changes etc, but what i wanted to know is there a QM theory behind lasing ie for what reason does the incoming photon stimulate the emission of photons of the same wavelength etc and just wondered if anyone had put it online because i can't seem to find it which i thought was odd.

Well, in contrast to spontaneous emission, one can understand all stimulated emission effects using the classical or semiclassical description.

In case one indeed uses QM, you can treat stimulated emission using Fermi's golden rule. You might already have calculated some transition rates from the ground state to the excited state using this rule. Now the interesting thing is, that the transition rates in both directions are exactly the same. In most situations the transition rate for stimulated absorption equals the rate for stimulated emission. This is also why one needs population inversion and why there are no usual two level lasers: You would drive the emission and the absorption simultaneously, which would pretty much spoil the idea.

Unfortunately, I must admit, that I do not know a free online resource on the qm description of lasing processes, either.

thx Cthugha i will have a look at Fermi's golden rule.

The quantum mechanics of it (a very basic and short version) is that when you have an atom in an excited state, and you shoot a photon at it, you can stimulate that atom to drop down to a lower state and release a photon. You shoot 1 photon, and you get 2 photons out. The mechanisms of this can be seen clearly in time-dependent perturbation theory where the photon is a "perturbation". If you can fill a tube of gas with a majority of excited atoms, then you can get a chain reaction with 1 photon producing 2 and 2 photons producing 4, etc, so that at the end you have a very intense beam.

what i mean is... What is the mecanism for 1 photon in 2 photons out exactly matching the 1st photon...is this not a violation of energy conservation? thanks for your reply

scupydog said:
what i mean is... What is the mecanism for 1 photon in 2 photons out exactly matching the 1st photon...is this not a violation of energy conservation? thanks for your reply

No, because the INITIAL energy that puts one photon in an excited state (so that it can be emitted by "stimulation" from ANOTHER photon) comes from another source.
Sometimes this other source is a strong source of light (in many cases another laser) in which case this is known as "optical pumping".
In e.g. semiconductor lasers it is essentially the energy of the excited electrons that are converted to photons of the "right" frequency via stimulated emission, in gas lasers molecules in an excited state etc.
I.e. there is always a source of energy in the system, the whole point of the laser is that can "convert" this energy into coherent light.

It might actually be a good idea to read up on the theory of masers, they are -in my view- somewhat easier to understand than lasers (the principle is obviously the same, but the implementation is somewhat simpler in the case of a maser).

Related to The Quantum Theory Behind Lasers and Masers

1. What is the quantum theory of lasers?

The quantum theory of lasers is a scientific theory that explains how lasers work at a fundamental level, using principles of quantum mechanics. It describes the process of stimulated emission, in which photons are emitted from atoms or molecules in a coherent manner, leading to the amplification of light and the creation of a laser beam.

2. How does the quantum theory of lasers differ from classical theories?

The quantum theory of lasers differs from classical theories in that it takes into account the quantum nature of light and matter. This means that it considers the discrete energy levels of atoms and molecules and the probabilistic behavior of particles, rather than treating light and matter as continuous and deterministic entities.

3. What are some practical applications of the quantum theory of lasers?

The quantum theory of lasers has numerous practical applications, including in telecommunications, medical imaging, and manufacturing. Lasers are also used in everyday devices such as CD and DVD players, barcode scanners, and laser printers.

4. Can you explain the process of stimulated emission in the quantum theory of lasers?

In stimulated emission, an incoming photon triggers an excited atom or molecule to release a second photon that is identical in energy, phase, and direction. This leads to a cascade effect, as the second photon can then trigger more stimulated emissions in nearby atoms or molecules, resulting in the amplification of light and the creation of a laser beam.

5. How has the quantum theory of lasers advanced our understanding of light and matter?

The quantum theory of lasers has advanced our understanding of light and matter by providing a more accurate description of how lasers work and by revealing the intricate interactions between light and matter at a microscopic level. It has also led to the development of new technologies and applications that have transformed various industries and aspects of daily life.