Can acceleration be called directly propotional to inclined plain

In summary, a new member named maryum2001 asked for help with the question of whether acceleration is directly proportional to an inclined plane. Warren clarified the question and stated that the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is proportional to the sine of the angle of inclination. The response was that, depending on various factors such as friction and air resistance, the acceleration can vary. Ultimately, the answer is yes, the magnitude of the acceleration is proportional to the slope of the inclined plane.
maryum2001
hi guys and girls i ma new here and need ur help
my question goes that
can acceleration be called directly propotional to inclined plain

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An inclined plane is an object, not a quantity. I fail to see how anything can be "proportional" to an inclined plane any more than something could be "proportional" to an apple.

Do you mean something like "is the magnitude of the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane proportional to the slope of that plane?"

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Do you mean something like "is the magnitude of the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane proportional to the slope of that plane?"
That would be my guess. Simple answer: yes. More complicated answer: depends on if you are sliding/rolling, friction (viscous?), air resistance, etc.

The acceleration of a block making frictionless contact with an inclined plane is proportional to the sine of the angle of inclination. For instance, for no incline, the acceleration is zero. For maximum incline (straight up and down), the acceleration is g. For a 45deg incline, the acceleration is ~0.7g.

thnx guys u r right chroot i meant this "is the magnitude of the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane proportional to the slope of that plane?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------sorry couldn't interpret it properly

Welcome maryum2001!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to an inclined plane?

Acceleration is directly proportional to an inclined plane if the object is moving along the plane. This means that as the plane's angle of incline increases, so does the acceleration of the object.

3. Can acceleration be called directly proportional to inclined plane if the object is at rest?

No, acceleration is only directly proportional to an inclined plane if the object is moving along the plane. If the object is at rest, gravity is the only force acting on it and it will not be accelerating.

4. What is the formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane is a = gsinθ, where a is acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of incline.

5. Can other factors affect acceleration on an inclined plane?

Yes, other factors such as friction and the mass of the object can also affect acceleration on an inclined plane. Friction can decrease the acceleration, while a heavier object will have a greater acceleration due to gravity.