Raymond Smullyan's Recreational Math Paradox on Page 189: Can it be Solved?

In summary, on page 189 of his book "The Lady or the Tiger? And Other Logic Puzzles," Raymond Smullyan presents a paradox that challenges the notion of solvability in recreational math. The paradox poses a question about a prisoner who is given the choice between two doors, one of which leads to freedom and the other to death. Through a series of logical deductions, Smullyan ultimately shows that it is impossible to determine which door leads to freedom, making it a seemingly unsolvable puzzle. However, he also suggests a possible solution based on the concept of self-reference, adding a layer of complexity to the paradox.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
in this webpage there is a book about recreational maths in it there is a paradox by raymond smullyan, it's on page 189:
http://www.g4g4.com/paul/BOOK.pdf

what do you think can the paradox be solved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, propositions 1 and 2 can both be true.

Recall that if P is false, then P => Q is a true statement.

It turns out that both of these propositions are vacuously true; e.g. if you rewrite the first one in a less misleading fashion, it becomes:

If x > y and y > x, then x - y > y - x.

And the second one becomes

If x > y and y > x, then x - y = y - x

Obviously, the hypothesis of both of these statements is always false, so these statements are always true.

When you combine these statements to produce the "contradiction", you get:

If x > y and y > x, then x - y > y - x and x - y = y - x

Or

If false, then false.

Which is a true statement!

Mathematics is saved; there is no choice of x and y that satisfies the hypothesis of this statement, so the conclusion of the statement never matters!

Originally posted by Hurkyl

It turns out that both of these propositions are vacuously true; e.g. if you rewrite the first one in a less misleading fashion, it becomes:

Obviously, the hypothesis of both of these statements is always false, so these statements are always true.

Or

If false, then false.

Mathematics is saved; there is no choice of x and y that satisfies the hypothesis of this statement, so the conclusion of the statement never matters!
i think it should be if x>y or y>x because you don't know which is greater than the other then you should choose the "or" option.

"The excess of x over y, if x is greater than y" only gives numbers for x > y.

Similarly, "The excess of y over x if y is greater than x" only gives numbers for y > x.

The only way both of these statements can give a number (and thus for one to make equations and inequations from those numbers) is if both of the hypotheses are true; that is if both x > y and y > x.

ok i think i understand your answer.
so there is no paradox.

Last edited:
here's another question from the book:
find the smallest prime number that contains each digit from 1 to 9 at least once.

a method i thought about is if 2^n-1 is a prime then n is also a prime but I am not sure this method to tackle the question (ofcourse other than checking evey number from the smallest number (which i haven't checked if it's a prime) 123456789 and then checking if it's not divisible by the numbers smaller than it.

First off, 9 will divide any 9-digit number that contains each of 1, 2, 3, ..., 9... so you have to have at least one repeat.

If I were to tackle this problem, I would simply examine the smallest 100 or so 10-digit integers that contain each digit. If none of them are prime, then I would go back to the drawing board and try to figure something out.

First off, 9 will divide any 9-digit number that contains each of 1, 2, 3, ..., 9... so you have to have at least one repeat.

i didnt know that.
is there a reason for that?

could it be said that a number who is divided by 9 could be divided by 3 (i think so because 9 is a multiple of 3).

The classic test for divisibility by 9 is:

x is divisible by 9 iff the sum of the (base 10) digits of x is divisible by 9.

For a quick proof, notice that

Σi di 10i = Σi di 1i (mod 9)

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 45, and 45 is divisible by 9, so any number which has exactly one of each of these digits must be divisible by 9.

And yes, anything divisible by 9 is divisible by 3.

Or

If false, then false.

Hey, it's even simpler than that. All the first proposition is really saying is that if one of the numbers (x or y) is equal to twice the other number then the difference is equal to one times the minimum (of x and y) but equal to one half times the maximum. Of course there is no paradox when stated like this and it is perfectly compatible with proposition 2.

The apparent paradox comes from the authors use of the variable y as both the smallest number, min(x,y), in the first instance and also as the largest number, max(x,y) in the second instance. So y is not a constant unless a different set of two numbers is used for each case, which would make the comparision pointless anyway.

Last edited:
Well, the reason I explained it this way is because phrasing can sometimes be very important, so I didn't want to "cheat" by rewriting their claim.

1. What is Raymond Smullyan's Recreational Math Paradox on Page 189?

Raymond Smullyan's Recreational Math Paradox is a mathematical puzzle created by the philosopher and mathematician Raymond Smullyan. It is found on page 189 of his book, "What is the Name of this Book?". It involves a prisoner trying to guess the color of a hat placed on his head by a warden, and whether or not he can solve the paradox is up for debate.

2. How does the paradox work?

The paradox begins with three prisoners, each with a hat on their head. The warden tells them that each hat is either black or white, and at least one of them is black. The prisoners cannot see their own hat, but can see the hats of the other two prisoners. They are then asked to guess the color of their own hat. The catch is that if at least one of them guesses correctly, they will all be set free. However, if any of them guesses incorrectly, they will all be executed.

3. Can the prisoners come up with a strategy to ensure their release?

This is the main question of the paradox and has been debated by mathematicians for years. Some argue that there is a logical solution that guarantees the prisoners' release, while others argue that it is impossible to determine the color of their own hat with the given information. It ultimately depends on how you interpret the rules of the paradox and the assumptions you make about the prisoners' thought processes.

4. What are some possible solutions to the paradox?

There are several proposed solutions to the paradox, each with their own flaws and assumptions. One solution involves the prisoners using a system of counting to determine the color of their own hat based on the number of black hats they see on the other prisoners. Another solution involves the prisoners making educated guesses based on the knowledge that at least one hat is black. However, none of these solutions can be proven to work definitively.

5. Why is this paradox considered recreational math?

Recreational math is a branch of mathematics that involves puzzles, games, and other recreational activities to challenge the mind and stimulate critical thinking. Raymond Smullyan's Recreational Math Paradox is considered a part of this branch because it is a thought-provoking puzzle that requires logic and creative thinking to solve. It is not a real-world problem, but rather a fun and entertaining exercise for mathematicians and puzzle enthusiasts to ponder and discuss.