The Problem with Posting Long Replies and LATEX Code

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
In summary: D- WarrenIn summary, the forum user was having trouble posting long replies with LATEX code. They received an error message stating that the page could not be found. They were advised to copy their replies before submitting them and to mark the "remember me" checkbox when logging in. Later, the user discovered that they were unable to post the word "curl" in their posts. This was due to a security measure in place on the forum, but it has since been removed.
Swapnil
I can't post any long replies (with some LATEX code on it). Whenever I do that it gives me this message:

The page your looking for can't be found.
Please go back to the homepage: https://www.physicsforums.com/
Physics ForumsPlease Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Testing...
[tex]e^{\imath\theta}+1 = 0[/tex]

EDIT: Oh, I just saw the 'long replies' part.

The server does appear to be having some database hiccups here and there. I'd advise anyone composing a long reply to either copy it before hitting the submit button, or compose it in a word processor or text editor, then simply copy and paste it into the reply box on the forum.

- Warren

Apparantly I can post the following random string, but as soon as I put some thing that is meaningfull (even without latex) , it gives me the same message that I mentioned before and doesn't let me post.

asdddddddddddddddd asdjaslkhdlas asldas ldasd asd asdlk asdk dask dasd jasld asdasjdasj;d ajs;djasd asjd asdhasdkjasldasd ad asdkj agsdajg djksahd sajkdh asdhja sdas dasjdhaskdhasl.a sdasdsaldjsadh asdash duaae ayajh assadsa f saf haf ashasuydfaslksahasasfasfhasl;f/ asdas asdj ahsd asd asjhdsahldk asdhasudyasyd8sadasdh asd asdaeyreaoy oewpqrowe a f[eq f af adoyfeoi af uqpeupfqefu eqpf apf ueryqwio qwo qwu po alsfhas dhkas deor eaiy afka skjsfd ;as'adp999fds daskd jasd;j asdfoai 0dwe a0widadsd asdsa dhsajh cnmbcccccccccccccccccccccdsjhfakfjas fa fasfjaf;sajfaslfjasjf;asf sfjas;jf as;ljas;lfj as;fask;;;;;;;;;;;;;'hfaskjhfashasjhfasl ashflasfhalskhf'l;kfhas;l

Last edited:
I'm afraid that the server does not care whether your post is intelligible or not. Since you appear to be the only person suffering from this problem, I can only assume the problem is on your end. Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, and try again.

- Warren

Swapnil, if you are taking a long time to compose the posts, you may just be timing out. Be sure you are marking the "remember me" checkbox when you log in and if you are typing anything more than a small paragraph or two, it would be a good idea to take chroot's advice.

OK, I may sound really paranoid but whenever I type the word "curl" followed with spaces on both sides either nothing happens or I get the following message:

The page your looking for can't be found.
Please go back to the homepage: https://www.physicsforums.com/
Physics Forums

Try it somebody. Prove me wrong, please! Just type the word "curl" in a sentence.

Last edited:
Hmm, wow, there really is something going on here. :rolleyes: I have never seen anything like this. I'll go run through the code and see if there's anything special about the word curl. I suspect it's a bug in the vBulletin software... I'll let you know. Sorry for the trouble.

- Warren

I suspect this has something to do with 'url' in the sentence, and perhaps the software trying to prevent some kind of exploit...

Words like 'waskjsdklfjsdklfjcurl' don't work either... congrats on finding a unique new bug!

I'll see what I can find.

- Warren

O__O That's so weird, I just tried the random stuff followed by "curl" and it didnt work either... I wonder if this will go through.

I must say that I was a bit skeptical at first. Good job! :)

Lol, it didnt work without the quotation marks

chroot said:
I suspect this has something to do with 'url' in the sentence, and perhaps the software trying to prevent some kind of exploit...

Words like 'waskjsdklfjsdklfjcurl' don't work either... congrats on finding a unique new bug!

I'll see what I can find.

- Warren
Wheww... Its such a relief. I almost started thinking that I was going crazy :smile:

waskjsdklfjsdklfj[tex]\nabla\times[/tex] :-p

Fixed. curl curl curl!

- Warren

interesting, what was the problem? curl;lkjdsnlkjns;lkfdnsmd;kfljv;lkfdxmv;ldkfjmvlkfcxmv;lidkmc ;oiflkjm b;olkfjxcmq;ojfsaoasi;djxnlndx;oivjdmnovxndpoifx

curl

Curl happens to the name of a unix program that can be used by a few kinds of Internet worms. Our security software was configured to block any URLs (incluing posts) which contan the word. We felt that was unduly strict, and removed the restriction.

- Warren

sql injections...

Ohh I see now, just did a curl --man

Never heard of that before, (I love the sh on my mac)

chroot said:
Curl happens to the name of a unix program that can be used by a few kinds of Internet worms. Our security software was configured to block any URLs (incluing posts) which contan the word. We felt that was unduly strict, and removed the restriction.

- Warren
So the actual problem was the word "curl" and not just the word "url"?

curl curl curl curl !

Related to The Problem with Posting Long Replies and LATEX Code

1. What is the cause of the serious problem of not being able to post?

The most common cause of not being able to post is a technical issue with the website or platform that is being used. This could be due to server problems, bugs in the system, or an outdated version of the website.

2. How can I troubleshoot this issue?

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, using a different browser, or updating your browser to the latest version. You can also check if there are any known issues or updates with the website or platform that could be causing the problem.

3. Is there a specific time or day when this problem occurs more frequently?

It is difficult to pinpoint a specific time or day when this problem occurs more frequently, as it can vary depending on the website or platform. However, it is more likely to happen during peak usage times when there is a high volume of traffic on the website.

4. Can this issue be resolved permanently?

In most cases, this issue can be resolved permanently by addressing the underlying cause of the problem. However, in some cases, the issue may persist due to ongoing technical issues or changes to the website or platform.

5. What should I do if I continue to experience this issue?

If you continue to experience this issue, it is recommended to reach out to the website or platform's technical support team for assistance. They may be able to provide further troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue to their development team for a permanent solution.