The Problem of the Week #331: How do you integrate the arcsine squared function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Greg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of social media and its impact on society. The participants discussed the pros and cons of social media, including its ability to connect people but also its potential for spreading misinformation and causing addiction. They also touched on the responsibility of individuals and platforms to use social media responsibly and ethically.
Greg
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Find $\displaystyle\int\arcsin^2(x)\,dx.$

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to MarkFL, lfdahl, Opalg and Theia for their correct solutions.

MarkFL's solution:

[sp] Let:

\(\displaystyle I=\int \arcsin^2(x)\,dx\)

Using IBP, I would state:

\(\displaystyle u=\arcsin(x)\implies du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\arcsin(x)\,dx\)

To find \(v\), let's use IBP where:

\(\displaystyle r=\arcsin(x)\implies dr=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle ds=dx\implies s=x\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle v=x\arcsin(x)-\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx=x\arcsin(x)+\sqrt{1-x^2}\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\arcsin(x)\left(x\arcsin(x)+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)-\int \left(x\arcsin(x)+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle I=\arcsin(x)\left(x\arcsin(x)+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)-\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\arcsin(x)+1\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle I=\arcsin(x)\left(x\arcsin(x)+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)-x-\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\arcsin(x)\,dx\)

On the remaining integral, use IBP where:

\(\displaystyle u=\arcsin(x)\implies du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle dv= \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\implies v=-\sqrt{1-x^2}\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\arcsin(x)\left(x\arcsin(x)+\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)-x-\left(-\sqrt{1-x^2}\arcsin(x)+\int \sqrt{1-x^2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\right)\)

And so we conclude:

\(\displaystyle I=\int \arcsin^2(x)\,dx=\arcsin(x)\left(x\arcsin(x)+2\sqrt{1-x^2}\right)-2x+C\)[/sp]

Opalg's solution:

[sp] Let $u = \arcsin(x)$. Then $x = \sin u$, $dx = \cos u\,du$, and \(\displaystyle \int \arcsin^2(x)\,dx = \int u^2\cos u\,du\). Integrate by parts twice to get $$\begin{aligned} \int u^2\cos u\,du &= u^2\sin u - \int2u\sin u\,du \\ &= u^2\sin u + 2u\cos u - \int2\cos u\,du \\ &= u^2\sin u + 2u\cos u - 2\sin u + \text{const.} \end{aligned}$$ Now substitute back in terms of $x$ to get $$\int \arcsin^2(x)\,dx = x(\arcsin^2(x) - 2) + 2\sqrt{1-x^2}\arcsin(x) + \text{const.}$$

(Finally, differentiate that result to check that the derivative is indeed $\arcsin^2(x)$.)[/sp]

Related to The Problem of the Week #331: How do you integrate the arcsine squared function?

1. What is the arcsine squared function?

The arcsine squared function is a mathematical function that calculates the square of the inverse sine of a given input. It is denoted by the symbol sin-12(x) or (arcsin(x))2.

2. What is the domain of the arcsine squared function?

The domain of the arcsine squared function is [-1, 1]. This means that the input must be a number between -1 and 1 in order for the function to be defined.

3. How do you integrate the arcsine squared function?

The integration of the arcsine squared function can be done using the substitution method. Let u = arcsin(x), then du/dx = 1/√(1-x2) and dx = du/√(1-u2). Substituting these values into the integral of sin-12(x), we get ∫sin-12(x) dx = ∫u2 du/√(1-u2). This integral can be solved using integration by parts.

4. What is the derivative of the arcsine squared function?

The derivative of the arcsine squared function is given by d/dx(sin-12(x)) = 2√(1-x2)/x3.

5. What is the graph of the arcsine squared function?

The graph of the arcsine squared function is a U-shaped curve that is symmetric about the y-axis. The curve starts at (0,0) and approaches infinity as x approaches -1 or 1. The maximum value of the function is 1, which occurs at x = 0.