The probability of an event occurring at least x times?

• Thread starter mpatryluk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: Great, thanks for the detailed response!I tried to find the formula online but didnt know the name and couldn't describe it in such a way that a google search yielded results.
mpatryluk
Assuming that an event has 80% chance of occurrence and 20% of not occurring per "round", what is the formula to calculate the likelihood that it will occur at least n times assuming that there are x rounds?

i.e.
If you flip a coin 3 times, what are the chances that at least 2 times will turn up heads?

This example would be simple enough to map out all of the occurrences and find out which proportion meet those criteria, but the examples i will need to work with are too complex to do so.

I tried to find the formula online but didnt know the name and couldn't describe it in such a way that a google search yielded results.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget formulas. If you don't understand the fundamentals, you may well apply a formula incorrectly.

Just think about the basics. If an event has a 80%/20% chance of occurring/not occurring, what's the likelihood that it will occur/not occur a second time?

What he said

phinds said:
Forget formulas. If you don't understand the fundamentals, you may well apply a formula incorrectly.

Just think about the basics. If an event has a 80%/20% chance of occurring/not occurring, what's the likelihood that it will occur/not occur a second time?

I'm really not sure how that relates to what I asked. I am well aware that combined probability of multiple independent events is multiplicative. But I'm asking about the odds (for example) of an event occurring at least 5 times out of 8 chances.

Not exactly 5 times, at least 5 times, and in no particular required order of successes vs failures.

For that I would need to sum the aggregate probability of all possible sequence combinations where there are at least 5 successes. This includes:

YYYYYNNN
YYNNNYYY
YYYYYYYY
NNYNYYYY
etc.

So unless I am blatantly missing an obvious concept, I am not sure which fundamentals in your post will help me derive a formula to solve what i asked efficiently.

It was not clear from your post that you understand the fundamentals so well. It sounded as though you were simply searching for a formula to plug number into.

I don't know if there's an equation per se. I would find a generic expression for "exactly n times" and extrapolate it as a sum of terms and see if that looks like it would yield a single expression or simply have to be such a sum of terms.

Likes mpatryluk
I am not sure which fundamentals in your post will help me derive a formula to solve what i asked efficiently.
Well if you don't follow suggestions you'll never know ;) Here, I'll start you off...

For 2 independent trials, probability of success being p, the probability of exactly
2 successes is ##P(2)=p^2##
1 success is ##P(1)=2p(1-p)## ... because that requires one success and one failure, and there are two ways this can happen
0 successes is ##P(0)=(1-p)^2##
... so the probability of at least one success is ##P(1)+P(2) = p^2 + 2p(1-p) = 2p-p^2##

Repeat for three independent trials and spot the pattern.
Mind you - you'd have to recognize the binomial coefficients.

You can just look up "binomial probability", which I see you found while I was typing, and memorize the equation.

Likes mpatryluk
phinds said:
It was not clear from your post that you understand the fundamentals so well. It sounded as though you were simply searching for a formula to plug number into.

I don't know if there's an equation per se. I would find a generic expression for "exactly n times" and extrapolate it as a sum of terms and see if that looks like it would yield a single expression or simply have to be such a sum of terms.
That turned out to be exactly the right approach. It's a sum of terms using exactly n times, and I found that equation pretty easily online

thanks!

Simon Bridge said:
Well if you don't follow suggestions you'll never know ;) Here, I'll start you off...

For 2 independent trials, probability of success being p, the probability of exactly
2 successes is ##P(2)=p^2##
1 success is ##P(1)=2p(1-p)## ... because that requires one success and one failure, and there are two ways this can happen
0 successes is ##P(0)=(1-p)^2##
... so the probability of at least one success is ##P(1)+P(2) = p^2 + 2p(1-p) = 2p-p^2##

Repeat for three independent trials and spot the pattern.
Mind you - you'd have to recognize the binomial coefficients.

You can just look up "binomial probability", which I see you found while I was typing, and memorize the equation.

Great, thanks for the detailed response!

mpatryluk said:
I tried to find the formula online but didnt know the name and couldn't describe it in such a way that a google search yielded results.

Try the general topic of "generating functions" - often mentioned in connection with problems involving how many ways a certain sum of money can be made using coins of various types.

The problem you described may just amount to a sum of terms each of which is a "binomial coefficient" times probabilities raised to powers. (For example, the probability of "at least 7 heads" in 10 independent tosses of a fair coin is the sum: probability of exactly 7 heads + probability of exactly 8 heads + probability of excactly 9 heads + probability of exactly 10 heads. So if you can solve the "probability of exactly..." kind of problem, you can solve the "probability of at least" sort of problem.

Related to The probability of an event occurring at least x times?

What is the meaning of "the probability of an event occurring at least x times"?

The probability of an event occurring at least x times refers to the likelihood of a specific event happening a minimum of x number of times in a given sample or trial.

How is the probability of an event occurring at least x times calculated?

The probability of an event occurring at least x times can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula, which takes into account the number of trials, the probability of success, and the number of desired occurrences.

What factors influence the probability of an event occurring at least x times?

The probability of an event occurring at least x times is influenced by the number of trials, the probability of success in each trial, and the number of desired occurrences. It can also be affected by external factors such as randomness and chance.

Can the probability of an event occurring at least x times be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event occurring at least x times cannot be greater than 1. It is a measure of likelihood and therefore must fall between 0 and 1, with a probability of 1 indicating a certain occurrence and a probability of 0 indicating impossibility.

How is the probability of an event occurring at least x times useful in scientific research?

The probability of an event occurring at least x times is useful in scientific research as it allows researchers to make predictions and draw conclusions about the likelihood of certain events happening. It also helps in understanding the significance of results and determining the reliability of experimental findings.