The Potential of Molecular Assembler Bots: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter donkeyhide
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of molecular assembler bots and their feasibility in the field of nanotechnology. The debate between Smalley and Drexler is mentioned, with Drexler proposing the use of larger devices to manipulate molecules rather than individual atoms. The idea of using enzymes to grow tailor-made materials is also brought up, referencing the work of Nobel Prize winner Frances Arnold. Overall, the conversation questions the potential of nanoconstructor bots and seeks to determine if the idea is feasible or simply a product of hype.
donkeyhide
hi all. I'm new here and am doing some research on nanotechnology. i was hoping i could learn some more here about the 'sticky fingers' problem as it relates to molecular assemblers. my central question is: will molecular assembler bots ever be possible?

i've scanned some articles about the smalley-drexler debate. from what i understand, smalley's position is that molecular assembler bots will never be a possibility because once you start talking about manipulating individual atoms, you have to ask how you'll 'let go.' the fingers of the arm would stick to the atom being moved and there'd be no way to break the bond.

drexler claims that his ideas for assemblers never depended upon manipulator arms at all. i don't full get what he's talking about, but it looks to me as if drexler speaks about moving molecules, not atoms, in an assembly-line fashion, using a factory device that's a bit bigger than nano-scale. he mentions snapping the bonds using a 90 degree rotation of the 'dispenser' or whatever, when it's time to let go of the molecule.

if I'm understanding this correctly, then where did the idea for assembler bots begin in the first place? are they just a bit of hype that's lodged in the popular imagination?

i've also seen some talk about using enzymes to grow tailor-made materials. i'd like to know anything you have to say about that. but what I'm really interested in is the possibility of nanoconstructor bots. molecular assembler bots. i need to know the fact from the fiction. i know that such bots, if they are even possible, are decades away. i know that they remain in the realm of sci-fi. but that's okay. I'm just trying to determine if there's something fundamentally wrong with the idea.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't necessarily want to wade into the sticky fingers debate (though I think this is chiefly a problem for chemists, not for mechanical engineers). But I did want to point out that this comment:

donkeyhide said:
i've also seen some talk about using enzymes to grow tailor-made materials.
nicely dovetails with the work of last year's Nobel Prize winner Frances Arnold, who works on directed evolution of enzymes to perform non-natural reactions. Her work has principally focused on non-natural organic synthesis of commercially interesting compounds (e.g., using enzymes to introduce silyl groups enantioselectively), but there is also an increasing push to fund research into biologically derived functional materials (like semiconductor nanocrystals).

Related to The Potential of Molecular Assembler Bots: Fact or Fiction?

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter at the nanoscale, which is on the scale of one billionth of a meter. It involves using techniques to control and manipulate individual atoms and molecules to create new materials and devices.

How do sticky fingers affect nanotechnology?

Sticky fingers can introduce unwanted contaminants and alter the properties of nanomaterials, which can affect their performance and functionality. This can be a major challenge in the development and application of nanotechnology.

What are some current applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of applications in various fields such as medicine, electronics, energy, and materials science. Some current examples include drug delivery systems, solar cells, and stronger and lighter materials for construction and transportation.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with nanotechnology?

Due to the small size and potential hazards of nanoparticles, it is important to take safety precautions when working with nanotechnology. This may include using protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly disposing of nanomaterials to prevent exposure and potential health risks.

What are the potential future developments in nanotechnology?

The future of nanotechnology holds endless possibilities, including advancements in medicine, energy production, and environmental remediation. Some potential developments include targeted drug delivery, more efficient solar cells, and nanorobots for cleaning up pollution.