The potential energy of two atoms-

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius at stable equilibrium and the work required to separate two atoms with a given potential energy equation. The solution involves using the F(r) equation to find the equilibrium position, then calculating the potential energy at that position and at infinite distance apart, and taking the difference to find the work required to separate the atoms.
noleguy33

Homework Statement

The potential energy of two atoms with a radius r is written as-

U(r)= -4Uo[(Ro/r)^12 -(Ro/r)^6]

Find the radius at stable equilibrium and the work required to separate the two atoms.

Homework Equations

F(r) = -dU(r)/dr

The Attempt at a Solution

If found the stable equilibrium using the F(r) equation and setting it to zero. I have NO idea how to find the work.

A nudge in the right direction would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've worked out r at the equilibrium position.

So you can work out U at that position. I presume you're given U0, you can't get a numerical answer without it though you could get a simple symbolic expression.

U is a potential energy. Separating means moving them to infinite distance apart. The potential energy in that situation according to your formula is pretty obvious. The work separating is the difference between these two potential energies.

I trust I'm not teaching you anything but reminding you. (It seems so obvious you make me wonder if I'm missing something.)

Related to The potential energy of two atoms-

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.

How is potential energy related to atoms?

The potential energy of two atoms is the energy that exists between them due to their relative positions. This energy is a result of the electrostatic forces between the positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons in the atoms.

What factors affect the potential energy of two atoms?

The potential energy of two atoms is affected by the distance between them, the charges of the atoms, and any intervening medium that may influence the interaction between the atoms.

How is potential energy of two atoms calculated?

The potential energy of two atoms can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the potential energy is directly proportional to the product of the charges of the atoms and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

What is the relationship between potential energy and chemical bonds?

Chemical bonds are formed when atoms share or transfer electrons in order to lower their potential energy and become more stable. The strength of a chemical bond is directly related to the potential energy between the atoms involved.