The potential effects of Potassium chlorate on the human body.

In summary: A U.S. Army EOD Tech was exposed to Potassium chlorate while in Afghanistan. He developed symptoms including migraine, cold sweating, and shortness of breath. The potential effects of this exposure on his health are unknown, but it is possible that it could lead to health problems later in life.
cooke monster
The potential effects of "Potassium chlorate" on the human body.

To the many distinguished members of the chemistry field,

I am a U.S. Army EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) Tech who returned from Afghanistan about 3 months ago. During my deployment I was forced to manually enter an IED (improvised explosive device) which we later determined was filled with Potassium chlorate (KClO3). During the process I inhaled an exorbitant amount of the HME (home made explosive). It took two hours for the first symptoms to show, migraine, uncontrollable shaking, cold sweating, and shortness of breath. I was immediately given large IVs and the doctor called Poison Control and the CDC in Washington DC, who informed him I was the first reported case ever. The primary concern was that the potassium would bind to my red blood cells and keep the cells from being infused with oxygen or so I was told. I am curious from a chemist's view point what effects this may have on me later in life, since no one seems to be curious but me.

I can for sure tell you that what I was exposed to was not the purest form of Potassium chlorate, god only knows what else the Taliban used in the making of it, I can say that according to Laser chemical analysis (Ahura first defender) it was still classified as Potassium chlorate.

I appreciate anyone who is willing to help me theorize any future medical issues I may experience.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

You certainly aren't the first reported case for this! The effects of chlorate in your bloodstream lead to the destruction of some RBC's. That could lead to headaches, dizziness, kidney damage (from methemoglobin) and brain damage if you were hypoxic long enough. Sounds like a typical friday night back in college! All kidding aside, if you are concerned about your health, asking a chemist here isn't in your best interests IMO.

You might be interested in this case.

Related to The potential effects of Potassium chlorate on the human body.

1. What is Potassium chlorate?

Potassium chlorate is a chemical compound that is commonly used as an oxidizing agent in various industrial processes, such as in the production of matches and fireworks.

2. How does Potassium chlorate affect the human body?

When ingested, Potassium chlorate can cause irritation and damage to the digestive tract, leading to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. It can also affect the production of red blood cells, potentially leading to anemia.

3. Can Potassium chlorate be absorbed through the skin?

Yes, Potassium chlorate can be absorbed through the skin, especially if it comes into contact with open wounds or cuts. It can cause skin irritation and damage, and may also be absorbed into the bloodstream.

4. Is Potassium chlorate toxic?

Potassium chlorate is considered toxic and should be handled with caution. Ingestion or inhalation of high amounts of Potassium chlorate can lead to serious health effects, such as kidney damage and respiratory failure.

5. Are there any long-term effects of Potassium chlorate exposure?

Long-term exposure to Potassium chlorate has been linked to potential health risks, such as an increased risk of developing certain types of cancer. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of this chemical on the human body.