Addressing Intermittent Over Current Faults in Dual UPS System

In summary, there are two UPSs, UPSA and UPSB, and two static transfer switches, STSA and STSB. UPSA supplies Source1 on STSA (preferred) and Source1 on STSB, while UPSB supplies Source2 on STSA and Source2 on STSB (preferred). Each UPS has a balanced 15KW load and 4 downstream transformers. The core problem is that if Source1 fails on UPSA, STSA will transfer to Source2, but UPSB's inverter will fault on over current. The same issue occurs if the preferred source on UPSB fails. The solution may involve properly sizing the UPS systems to handle both loads.
jtweedie@atdesk.com
I have two UPSs, UPSA & UPSB, and two static transfer switches, STSA & STSB. UPSA feeds Source1 on STSA (preferred) and Source1 on STSB. UPSB feeds Source2 on STSA and Source2 on STSB (preferred). Each UPS has approxiamately a balanced 15KW load. Each UPS has 4 downstream transformers.

Question: IF i fail source1 on UPSA, STSA will will transfer from source1 to source2. BUT UPSB's inverter will fault on over current. The same thing will happen if i fail the preferred source of UPSB. This problem is also intermittent on both UPSs

There is more info but i would like to see what questions are generated so i will hold off. This is the core problem.

Any ideas

Engineering news on Phys.org
jtweedie@atdesk.com said:
Question: IF i fail source1 on UPSA, STSA will will transfer from source1 to source2. BUT UPSB's inverter will fault on over current.
This seems to make no sense. If B will trip on over current, then B is not adequately sized to carry both loads. No switching arrangement will cure that. You must have two UPS systems, each rated to supply A+B loads.

1. What is a Static Transfer Switch (STS)?

A Static Transfer Switch is an electronic device that automatically switches between two independent power sources, such as a primary and backup power source, to ensure continuous power supply to critical equipment. It uses solid-state components and does not have any moving parts, making it more reliable and faster than traditional electromechanical switches.

2. How does an STS work?

An STS continuously monitors the power quality of both power sources. When it detects a drop in voltage or other power quality issues in the primary source, it automatically transfers the load to the backup source. It does this by using thyristors to switch the load from one power source to the other. Once the primary source is stable again, the STS transfers the load back to it.

3. What are the benefits of using an STS?

STS offers several benefits, including improved reliability, faster switching time, and increased flexibility. It also eliminates the need for human intervention in case of power source failure, reducing the risk of downtime for critical equipment. Additionally, STS can help balance the load between two power sources, reducing the strain on a single source.

4. When should I use an STS?

STS is typically used in applications where continuous power supply is critical, such as data centers, hospitals, or industrial facilities. It is also used in systems with multiple power sources, such as renewable energy systems or redundant power supplies. In general, any application that requires a fast and reliable transfer of power between two sources can benefit from using an STS.

5. What are the maintenance requirements for an STS?

An STS is a solid-state device with no moving parts, making it low maintenance. However, it is essential to regularly test the STS to ensure it is functioning correctly. This includes periodic visual inspections, load bank testing, and verifying the STS's settings. It is also crucial to have a backup STS in case the primary one fails.