The point where the electric field between two charged spheres is zero

In summary, at Point P, the electric field exerted by Sphere A is equal to the electric field exerted by Sphere B.
bandit101

Homework Statement

Sphere A, with a positive charge is located close to another Sphere B, with positive charge. The relative size of the charges is such that the charge on Sphere A = 4 (Sphere B). Locate Point P between the two spheres where the force exerted by the field is zero. State the location of Point P in terms of the center of A and B.

Homework Equations

These are the equations I have to work with:

F = k (Qq)/d2

where:

* K = 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2(constant),
* Q = electric force of one object (C),
* q = electric force of the other object (C),
* d = distance between the two objects (m).

E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no clue of how to go about this without an actual given distance. I tried finding the E of each charge with d^2 still in it then add those two to equal zero, but it didn't work. All of the example I have found have either had a positive and negative charge or a given distance. How would I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
bandit101 said:
I had no clue of how to go about this without an actual given distance. I tried finding the E of each charge with d^2 still in it then add those two to equal zero, but it didn't work.
When you add the electric fields (that's what you mean by E, right?), remember that they are vectors, not just numbers. So when you add them, it's not as simple as just adding the magnitudes; you need to take into account the relative direction of the two fields.

Try drawing a picture of the two spheres and the point P, and include the direction of the electric field at point P due to each sphere separately.

So would the direction be part of d? Wouldn't the d^2 just cancel out because they are common denominators?

I don't think I understand. Even if I try to add them as vectors, whenever there is a zero in the equation it doesn't work because zero divided by anything is zero.

Okay so there is a picture that goes along with this question. I didn't know if it was that important because I wasn't given a distance. But I measured it with my ruler. From the center of the two spheres, they are 5.8cm apart and from the edges of each, they are 4cm apart. I would use the 5.8cm measurement right?

So, would I then go:

EA=kQ1/d2
EA=4k/d2

E=kQ2/d2
E=k/(d+5.8)2

Then would I go:

EA - EB = 0
4k/d2 - k/(d +5.8)2 = 0
4k/d2 = k/(d +5.8)2
4/d2 =1/(d2 + 11.6 + 33.64)
[(d2 + 15.24)(4)]/d2 = 1
(4d2 + 60.96)/d2 = 1
4d2 + 60.96 = d2
3d2 + 60.96 = 0
(3)(d2 + 20.32) = 0

So:
d2 + 20.32 = 0
d2 = -20.32
d = 4.507771...

Is this right?

So if Sphere A was at 0cm and Sphere B was at 5.8cm, then Point P would be at 4.5cm?

Related to The point where the electric field between two charged spheres is zero

1. What is the point where the electric field between two charged spheres is zero?

The point where the electric field between two charged spheres is zero is called the point of electrical equilibrium. This means that at this point, the electric forces from the two spheres cancel each other out, resulting in no net electric field.

2. How is the point of electrical equilibrium determined?

The point of electrical equilibrium is determined by the distance between the two charged spheres and their respective charges. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can the point of electrical equilibrium change?

Yes, the point of electrical equilibrium can change if the distance between the two charged spheres or their charges are altered. If the distance increases, the point of equilibrium will move further away from the spheres, and if the charges are increased, the equilibrium point will move closer to the spheres.

4. What happens to the electric field at the point of electrical equilibrium?

At the point of electrical equilibrium, the electric field is zero. This means that there is no force acting on any charged particles placed at this point. The electric field lines also become parallel to each other, indicating that there is no net force acting in any direction.

5. In what situations is the point of electrical equilibrium important?

The point of electrical equilibrium is important in systems where there are two or more charged objects interacting with each other. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they can be manipulated by altering the distance or charges of the objects involved.