The Physics of CMBR Anisotropies

In summary, the conversation was about the CMB anisotropies and related phenomena, specifically the CMB power spectrum, E-mode polarization, tensor modes, and the physics behind these features. Several links were shared for further information, and a discussion about the predicted Sachs-Wolfe plateau not being observed in the actual data and the possibility of a flat, finite universe or conformally flat models was had. The conversation ended with the consideration of a torus being locally Riemann flat.
meteor
This paper is quite clear explaining all-you-ever-wanted-to-know about the CMB anisotropies and related phenomena. So, i will be glad that everybody post here their doubts about the CMB power spectrum, E-mode polarization, tensor modes,... The physics behind the CMB anisotropies is quite fascinating

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0411049
"The Physics of CMBR Anisotropies"

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you ever wanted to know how the CMB power spectrum looks like, I've found it for
you
http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/research/cmb/vsa/CMB_power_spec.html
Observe the flat part of the left known as the Sachs-Wolfe plateau, and the dominant acoustic peak (the Doppler peak). It's important to comprehend how these features arise, there's a lot of information hidden in the power spectrum

meteor said:
This paper is quite clear explaining all-you-ever-wanted-to-know about the CMB anisotropies and related phenomena.
It may be quite clear, but at least for me it is too difficult. I prefer any of the papers on this subject written by Wayne Hu.

meteor said:
So, i will be glad that everybody post here their doubts about the CMB power spectrum, E-mode polarization, tensor modes,...
OK. There are many aspects I do not understand properly, but let's start with one point I have never seen treated in the references: when an electron is trapped by a proton, it has to step down the energy levels until the neutral hydrogen reaches stability. This leads to an electromagnetic emission (as far as I know, usually called inverse photoemission). During the recombination epoch this phenomenon should have taken place massively and the emitted photons should have found free path inmediately, because no scattering followed after recombination (last scattering surface). It seams obvious to me that these emitted photons were not in thermal equilibrium with the radiation of the previous plasma and therefore this emission should be visible as a anisotropy source today. It may be very faint because the photon to baryon ratio is enormous. Is this correct? Is this effect measurable?

meteor said:
If you ever wanted to know how the CMB power spectrum looks like, I've found it for
you
http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/research/cmb/vsa/CMB_power_spec.html
Observe the flat part of the left known as the Sachs-Wolfe plateau, and the dominant acoustic peak (the Doppler peak). It's important to comprehend how these features arise, there's a lot of information hidden in the power spectrum
Thank you meteor for these interesting links.

Notice the predicted Sachs-Wolfe plateau does not seem to be there in the actual data;
see http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0304558 figure 1, right hand diagram.
As they go to the largest angular scales the data points tail off and do not remain on the S-W plateau. The probability of this happening given the best-fit LCDM standard model is two parts in a thousand!

This may be evidence that the universe is not infinite, it can be explained by saying there was just not enough space for these largest anisotropies to form.

But how can this be? The data is also consistent with a flat universe!

This data seems inconsistent until we realize that it is also consistent with conformally flat models.

Therefore the WMAP data may be evidence of a model such as a linearly expanding spherical, "freely coasting" universe, as a cone is conformally flat; or a static cylindrical model as that too is conformally flat.
[You can split them up the time axis and roll them both out flat]

Just a thought.

Garth

It may be very faint because the photon to baryon ratio is enormous. Is this correct? Is this effect measurable?
Hi, hellfire. Yes, the photon/baryon ratio was very huge, the cipher that I have is 3*109. So, it's sensible to think that the contribution to the anisotropy was not important. I have searched info about this and have found nothing. So don't take my word for it, i could be wrong
But how can this be? The data is also consistent with a flat universe!
Hi Garth. Don't forget that a flat universe is not necessarilly infinite. It can also be a finite flat hypertorus
In fact there are 18 possible different flat topologies according to this page!
http://luth2.obspm.fr/Compress/jan03_riaz.en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Garth said:
Notice the predicted Sachs-Wolfe plateau does not seem to be there in the actual data;
see http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0304558 figure 1, right hand diagram.
As they go to the largest angular scales the data points tail off and do not remain on the S-W plateau. The probability of this happening given the best-fit LCDM standard model is two parts in a thousand!
As far as I know, the question whether the data from the CMB anisotropies suggests a finite universe is still open. The problem is that on high angular scales the "cosmic variance" problem arises: to define a correlation function and compute the values of the coefficients of the spherical harmonics one needs a statistical sample of points. In the very high angular scales the sample is small, since we have only one universe to get information from. It seams (I do not know exactly how and in which extent) that this leads to this small "dip" in the SW plateau (may be someone could elaborate on this in the light of the formulas (3) - (9) of the paper referenced by meteor).

meteor said:
Hi Garth. Don't forget that a flat universe is not necessarilly infinite. It can also be a finite flat hypertorus
In fact there are 18 possible different flat topologies according to this page!
http://luth2.obspm.fr/Compress/jan03_riaz.en.html
That web page is about 2 years old and pre-WMAP data. That data constrained the geometry to flatness to within close limits. The paper "Simulating Cosmic Microwave Background maps in multi-connected spaces" is suggesting possible topologies of nearly flat universes.

There are also conformally flat universes that would explain the data - as I suggested.

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
In the perfect case, a torus is locally Riemann flat. I know it doesn't look like it but there is a unique "parallel" to each "line" therough a given point. Where the lines are circles that curve through the hole and around the surface.

Thank you, my problem with that though is the WMAP data is of almost isotropic distant cosmological fluctuations. Would not a toroidal topology produce different results in different directions?
Garth

Related to The Physics of CMBR Anisotropies

1. What is CMBR anisotropy?

CMBR (Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation) anisotropy refers to the tiny variations in temperature and intensity of the CMBR that are observed across the sky. These variations are believed to be the result of density fluctuations in the early universe, which have been amplified by gravitational forces over time.

2. How is CMBR anisotropy measured?

CMBR anisotropy is measured using specialized instruments, such as telescopes and satellites, which are designed to detect and map the temperature and intensity variations of the CMBR. These instruments record the CMBR in the form of microwaves and then use mathematical techniques to analyze the data and create maps of the anisotropies.

3. What causes CMBR anisotropy?

CMBR anisotropy is caused by density fluctuations in the early universe, which are believed to have been seeded by quantum fluctuations during the inflationary period. These fluctuations were then amplified by gravitational forces as the universe expanded and cooled, resulting in the variations in temperature and intensity that we observe in the CMBR.

4. What can the study of CMBR anisotropy tell us about the universe?

The study of CMBR anisotropy has provided valuable insights into the composition and evolution of the universe. By analyzing the patterns and characteristics of the anisotropies, scientists can infer the age, size, and geometry of the universe, as well as the distribution of matter and energy within it. This information helps us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.

5. How does CMBR anisotropy support the Big Bang theory?

The presence of CMBR anisotropy is a key piece of evidence supporting the Big Bang theory. The theory predicts that in the early universe, there were tiny density fluctuations that eventually grew into the large-scale structures we see today. These fluctuations are precisely what we observe in the CMBR anisotropies, providing strong evidence for the validity of the Big Bang theory.